General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Wlp802 went fast

<< < (2/9) > >>

Wort-H.O.G.:
maybe my math for figuring % fermentation is off...if im looking for about 75% completion, whats the formula?

thanks

hopfenundmalz:
Most of my lagers of that OG range are done in 5 or 6 days. I pitch at about 44 to 45 F, so a wrmer pitch means it will start faster, but may make more VDKs.

Time to do the D rest at 1.020 for a 1.050 beer Is about 1.020 so I agree.

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on February 20, 2013, 06:58:36 AM ---Most of my lagers of that OG range are done in 5 or 6 days. I pitch at about 44 to 45 F, so a wrmer pitch means it will start faster, but may make more VDKs.

Time to do the D rest at 1.020 for a 1.050 beer Is about 1.020 so I agree.

--- End quote ---

thanks for confirming the math... i guess i figured pitching at 60F was only slightly higher than my target ferm temp of 52F.  once i put it into lager chamber, it didn't take long to drop down to my set temp of 52F. hopefully this isn't a negative in the final product. i will have to experiment with lower pitching temps and compare.

denny:

--- Quote from: wort-h.o.g. on February 20, 2013, 07:12:55 AM ---i will have to experiment with lower pitching temps and compare.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, you should.  I found that my lagers turned out better when I started pitching a bit below fermentation temp and letting it rise to the temp intended.  Give it a try and compare the results to what you're doing now.

blatz:

--- Quote from: denny on February 20, 2013, 10:22:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: wort-h.o.g. on February 20, 2013, 07:12:55 AM ---i will have to experiment with lower pitching temps and compare.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, you should.  I found that my lagers turned out better when I started pitching a bit below fermentation temp and letting it rise to the temp intended.  Give it a try and compare the results to what you're doing now.

--- End quote ---

+1 - much, much better...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version