General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

San Diego Super Yeast

<< < (2/8) > >>

morticaixavier:
Are you using a refractometer or hydrometer to take your readings?

Also that is a fairly large amount of crystal malts, close to 10%. gonna leave a fair amount of unfermentables.

HoosierBrew:
+1.  A ton of unfermentables.  I think it's fermented all it can.

blatz:
i disagree.  10% crystal malts isn't what I'd consider a ton.  I'd still expect him to get in the mid to high teens with that grain bill, OG and yeast combo.  my porter uses 14% crystal malt and I still get 75-76% attenuation with chico.  I think he may have gotten a FUBAR batch of yeast - happens sometimes - when Denny's 50 first came out (when it was 2450 not 1450) it was a PITA to use. 

jimrod:
I use a hydrometer. I don't think 3# of crystal (9.75%)  on a 30.75# grain bill is an excessive amount of unfermentables. There's plenty of recipes that call for between 5-10# crystal malts. I wouldn't go higher than 10%. 

I was expecting 75-80% attenuation from this yeast which would give me 1.018 even with the crystal. This yeast has a high tolerance to alcohol, I'm at 6% ABV now.   I just have my doubts after 20 days.

Do you have any tricks to get another 10 points out of it?

repo:
The grain bill is fine,  1.016 is not at all unattainable. The yeast starter of 2qts for 2 vials is inadequate- even if you got the yeast from white labs this morning. And 4 days on the stir plate, why? The temperature is fine also. How old was the yeast, one fermentor or two?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version