Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: help motorizing grain mill  (Read 5379 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: help motorizing grain mill
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:58 am »
I also bet a bench grinder motor is too weak. Even with the speed reduced which will increase power - it may spin fast but stop on the first grain of malt because it is not powerful enough.

?? My bench grinder has plenty of torque.
Well that's why I said "I bet" - I might loose. The bench grinder I've used slows down the moment you touch something to the wheel. Granted - I'm not doing math here.

Mine could rip your arm off at full rpm, but you have a point, they are not all the same.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
But that is not torque. Bench grinders are not designed to have torque- the stone wheel could become a shattered projectile. I have not encountered a bench grinder you couldn't keep from turning on with a slight amount of force from your hand. Grain could do the same thing.

coastsidemike

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:53 am »
But that is not torque. Bench grinders are not designed to have torque- the stone wheel could become a shattered projectile. I have not encountered a bench grinder you couldn't keep from turning on with a slight amount of force from your hand. Grain could do the same thing.

As mentioned by others, inexpensive corded drills are great for this.  One thing I'll add is to use a router speed control (or "variable speed controller") to get the exact RPM needed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:16:43 am by surfin_mikeg »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »

As mentioned by others, inexpensive corded drills are great for this.  One thing I'll add is to use a router speed control (or "variable speed controller") to get the exact RPM needed.

+1
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale