Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BOTTLES, BOTTLES, BOTTLES  (Read 4001 times)

Offline nicomiranda

• 1st Kit
BOTTLES, BOTTLES, BOTTLES
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »
Good day ladies and gents,

I live in Miami, FL.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get some bottles.  Or if you know of a good website please let me know.

Thank you for any information.

Nico Miranda  8)

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
Re: BOTTLES, BOTTLES, BOTTLES
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:39 pm »
If you don't mind taking labels off of them then have your friends save them for you.  If not any local home brew store should sell them.
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline the_pig

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »
I started brewing 10 gal. batches, built up a big back log of beer, and ran out of bottles.  So I started scavenging on recycling day on my way into work.  I have identified several source houses.  It's amazing how consistent people are - some people never drink, some others always drink wine, beer in cans, or screw tops.  And there are some households that put out a couple of six packs of pry-off bottles every week.  (A subset of these include smokers who drop butts in their empties, etc. but you learn to avoid those houses quickly.)

Obviously, you need to give them a good rinse and a soak in PBW.  But they clean up just fine.  (Soaking in a bucket of warm water with a little amonia takes most labels off easily.)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
For my first few batches I just bit the bullet and bought a few cases from my LHBS as I needed them. Now that I have a decent stockpile, I can get by just by reusing what I have. If I find myself a little short when it comes time to bottle a batch, I may just end up "culling" a few bottles from an old batch that I wasn't a huge fan of or has gone past its prime.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:28 pm »
good thing about ohio and no bottle deposit/refund. go to any bar and they are happy to give you bottles!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:26 pm »
i stock piled some buy buying sam adams at costco.  then when ever i would buy something i would want to try.  most of mine are label free now.  but when i need to take off labels sam adams comes off very easy.  not so easy with all brands.  i just soak in ammonia  for a few hours and off it comes.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
You are obviously not drinking enough. ;)

I gathered up a rather large stockpile just through trying out new beers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »
I get mine from the liquor store. More expensive but they come with free beer ;)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:54:14 am »
I still bottle most of my beer and my bottles come from bought six packs, friends/coworkers, or Costco cases.   Friends and coworkers get paid back with some of their bottles returned filled with beer. Its a great way for me to keep getting bottles from people.  At Costco its either Sam Adams or Kirkland brand. At one point it cost almost the same for a case of Kirkland beer as it did to buy empty bottles from a homebrew store. 
Mark

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:10 am »
I get mine from the liquor store. More expensive but they come with free beer ;)
+100
My first ever batch of beer, I went to a local bar on a saturday night and asked them for all the bottles they used that night. Boy, did they come through. I spent hours cleaning and de-labeling over 100 bottles. I found out the hard way on bottling day that twist-offs don't take crown caps very well...
Almost all of my bottles now come from friends, and the huge variety of beers I like to try.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »
Empty bottles from a homebrew store run around 50 cents each. This is insane to me. So the way I look at it is if I buy a nice quality craft for $10 a six, it really only costs me $7 a six after I recycle the bottles into my homebrewery.
Frank

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »
If you do not mind dumpster diving....Recycle bins. 
Visit often. Be picky.  :o

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 07:41:18 am »
I got most of mine from friends.  Word spread I needed bottles and cases of empties would randomly show up in the box of my truck at work.  I finally had to ask them to stop because I ran out of space to store them all.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:23 am »
I got most of mine from friends.  Word spread I needed bottles and cases of empties would randomly show up in the box of my truck at work.  I finally had to ask them to stop because I ran out of space to store them all.

Paul

I'm right there with you.  I needed about a case of empties around Christmas.  People are still dropping them off.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 08:27:17 am »
I have been collecting all bottles that come into my house (minus twist offs) since I started brewing in 2009 so needless to say I have a lot. I have enough I could probably bottle 50+ gallons of beer. I don't know why I don't start letting bottles go to the recycle bin. I need to try to unload some of them on craigslist or a local homebrew club.

You may feel like you will never have enough bottles but once you start saving bottles from beer you buy you will end up with more than enough.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing