Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Gypsum to Beer  (Read 4293 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Adding Gypsum to Beer
« on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
Not the mash or boil, but what about in the glass?  I thought I remember Mort (or someone) saying they added a pinch of Gypsum to the glass to accentuate the hops.  I brewed an AIPA with and without additives.  The one without has a subdued hop character.  Can I add some Gypsum to the glass and how much?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Adding Gypsum to Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:54:27 pm »
I can't claim to have tried it. I did try calcium chloride to interesting effect. I think it was Martin that was talking about that. maybe Kai? one of the water gurus
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »
Of course you should be weighing it out to the nanogram and dropping a stir bar in your glass....just kidding! 

I've just added a few dashes of sulfate to try the effect and it does work.  It does take a while for the gypsum to dissolve though. 

If you decide to add a dose to a keg, then you probably should figure out what the dose should be and add that to the keg and give it a shake.  It should be dissolved in several hours.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:46:48 pm »
Of course you should be weighing it out to the nanogram and dropping a stir bar in your glass....just kidding! 

I've just added a few dashes of sulfate to try the effect and it does work.  It does take a while for the gypsum to dissolve though. 

If you decide to add a dose to a keg, then you probably should figure out what the dose should be and add that to the keg and give it a shake.  It should be dissolved in several hours.

Thanks Martin!  I dropped in a dash and it definitely sharpened up.  I think I'll try a side-by-side tomorrow and report back.  Very interesting.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:05:31 am »
I've added it to the keg before after dissolving a smaller amount in a 4oz sample.  Worked great.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles