Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Fermentis yeast  (Read 10368 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
New Fermentis yeast
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:24:44 am »
Anybody tried F2 yet?  Seems designed as a bottling yeast....

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/SFB_F2_EN.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: New Fermentis yeast
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
Interesting.  That's the first time I've seen instructions to rehydrate and not sprinkle directly on the wort.  Going to have to try it!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:15 am »
Interesting.  That's the first time I've seen instructions to rehydrate and not sprinkle directly on the wort.  Going to have to try it!
That's because it says do not rehydrate in beer, not wort.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:15 pm »
That's because it says do not rehydrate in beer, not wort.

Duh, forgot it was for secondary fermenting in bottle or cask...... ???

I need a homebrew.  It's been a long week.
Dave Zach

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »
This is what Williams Brewing said about it:

CBC-1 CASK CONDITIONING  This yeast is advertised as being for use after beer has fermented in the bottle or cask as a yeast that settles out quickly, and leaves minimal flavors. To be fair, we used this to ferment a light ale with a starting gravity of 1.055. It fermented to 1.025, and the beer produced was a bit fruity, very clear, and we thought slightly off in flavor.

Not too promising.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

CBC-1 CASK CONDITIONING  This yeast is advertised as being for use after beer has fermented in the bottle or cask as a yeast that settles out quickly, and leaves minimal flavors. To be fair, we used this to ferment a light ale with a starting gravity of 1.055. It fermented to 1.025, and the beer produced was a bit fruity, very clear, and we thought slightly off in flavor.

Not too promising.

actually might be exactly what the yeast should do, minus the slight off flavour.

They mention on the site that it is intended to eat as little maltotriose as possible as to not thin out an already finished beer so the low attenuation might be just what they were expecting.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »

actually might be exactly what the yeast should do, minus the slight off flavour.

They mention on the site that it is intended to eat as little maltotriose as possible as to not thin out an already finished beer so the low attenuation might be just what they were expecting.

Might be a good yeast to try with something like a Session IPA.  Almost every one I have had end up so thin, I've always thought a yeast that didn't attenuate as much would work well

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:04:20 pm »
CBC-1 is a Danstar yeast. F-2 is a Fermentis yeast. I guess they saw everyone using T-58 to bottle-condition.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:30 am »
I don't think I'd use it for the primary fermentation yeast as some of you are suggesting.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:59 pm »

Not too promising.

My first re-yeasting with CBC-1 (not Fermetis) has been a terrific success so far (we'll see if the NHC judges agree).  I used it on a 7% beer which had been aged for about a month in a bourbon barrel after a lengthy fermentation (conical, several yeast dumps over 7 weeks).  Finished bottling volume was about 8.75 gallons. 

For re-yeasting, I rehydrated a whole pack of dry yeast in .5 cup of warm water, then used 4 tsp. of this slurry for the whole 8.75 gallons, primed with 265g of soft candi sugar (blonde).  Most of the batch was bottled in corked Belgian bottles, 'cept for a half a case of 12oz. crown capped bottles for competitions. After bottling, the beers were conditioned for 3 weeks at about 70-72°.

I've opened a couple of the corked bottles and the carbonation level is perfect.  I can't say for absolutely certain that the yeast didn't add any flavor at all because the beer is a big, black, bourbon barrel-aged Belgiany thing with a lot going on.  (It'll be poured at Club Night.)  But I'm super happy the results and I'll use CBC-1 again.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:36 am »

Not too promising.
Interesting - 1) Descibe intended use of product. 2) Admit you tested product with unintended use. 3) Review poorly.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 08:35:22 am »

Not too promising.
Interesting - 1) Descibe intended use of product. 2) Admit you tested product with unintended use. 3) Review poorly.

Nice
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:43 am »
That makes sense since the ideal conditioning yeast would eat simple sugars and very little else.

Hey Denny! Shouldn't this be on the Yeast board?   ;D  Bad moderator ... bad
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:23 am »
That makes sense since the ideal conditioning yeast would eat simple sugars and very little else.

Hey Denny! Shouldn't this be on the Yeast board?   ;D  Bad moderator ... bad

You're right!  Moving thread....

www.dennybrew.com