Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Lager  (Read 4347 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
First Lager
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:51:11 am »
So i have brewed a few ales now (10), and recently i received a kegarator but i want to try make some lagers before i start kegging my beer (cheaper than buying the kegs).
what would everyone suggest for a first lager? keeping in mind that i use extract and specialty grains.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: First Lager
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:05:39 am »
How about an Oktoberfest?  It's getting to be that time of year soon anyway and an amber lager will be easier to pull off with extract and will be a little more forgiving than a pale one.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:28:38 am »
How about an Oktoberfest?  It's getting to be that time of year soon anyway and an amber lager will be easier to pull off with extract and will be a little more forgiving than a pale one.

Or a Vienna.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 05:29:42 am »
Funny, those were the two I immediately thought of as well.  +2!
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:11:17 am »
I'll third the Ofest suggestion. Schwarzbier would be a nice choice for extract, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:09 am »
I agree with all of this. I think a schwarzbier would be the easiest on an extract + specialty basis. take pilsen light extract, and add carafa 3 + some roast and you have it. They are also a bit easier to control because black beers have a lot more room to hide than their lighter brethren.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:27:11 am »
My first lager was a Cali-common or Steam beer. All I used was straight amber extract and the requisite hops for the style. Turned out quite well.

The common's lagering phase is a bit warmer- basically at ale serving temps so perfect for the kegorator, which is where mine was performed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:25:24 pm »
thanks for the suggestions
one my first thoughts was a marzen/Oktoberfest but i didn't want wait for the traditional laggering time

i think i will try the Cali-common or schwarzbier

I not  a huge fan of the American style pale lagers minus actually batch 19 from Coors (and similar pre-prohibition pale lagers

after looking at the style guide for a schwarzbier, sounds like it's similar to New Belgium's 1554? If so that is one of my favorite beers from them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:27:26 pm by csu007 »
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline fugglupagus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:06 am »
Some good suggestions already.  Had two thoughts:  if you’re steeping w/extract, might be tough to pull off a legit Vienna (if you care about being legit);  Altbier might be another good hybrid to throw in the mix.
Keezer:  It's a big box that dispenses beer. No matter how well or sh$%&y it's built, it will be beautiful.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:54:50 am »
Since it's your first lager be sure you pitch enough enough yeast, either the slurry from a gallon starter or multiple packs/vials.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:43:43 am »
Since it's your first lager be sure you pitch enough enough yeast, either the slurry from a gallon starter or multiple packs/vials.

+1.  Pay a visit to Mr Malty or Yeastcalc.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:15:30 am »
kolsch kolsch kolsch kolsch kolsch kolsch :-)

Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles