Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: adding sulfate to my SNPA clone  (Read 4288 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
adding sulfate to my SNPA clone
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:04:31 am »
My water profile, which I've used for Pale Ale in the past, is as follows (all ppm): 56 Ca, 10 Mg, 15 Na, 7 SO4-S, 28 Cl, 172 bicarbonate, 141 Alkalinity.

I'm thinking about looking to get a little more sulfate crispness in there.  How about adding a few grams of gypsum to the  mash, which would get me 89 Ca, and 99 Sulfate (according to Kai's worksheet), while leaving everything else alone (of course it will reduce the RA a bit)...

Sound like a good idea, or not?

Also, would this be a good idea for an IPA and/or Rye IPA?

tx
red

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:15 am »
Based recent trials I've done, I'd go even higher.  My preference would be at least 100 ppm for APA and 200+ for AIPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: adding sulfate to my SNPA clone
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:18:24 am »
Based recent trials I've done, I'd go even higher.  My preference would be at least 100 ppm for APA and 200+ for AIPA.

+1. 
Dave Zach

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:23:44 am »

OK but as I push sulfates up toward 200ppm, my calcium goes up to 120 or so... is that a problem?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:19 am »

OK but as I push sulfates up toward 200ppm, my calcium goes up to 120 or so... is that a problem?

Nope, don't think it should be.  It isn't for me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
I have seen picture of the containers of brewing salts on top of the big roll around containers of hops ready to go in the boil at Sierra Nevada.

Denny, I saw a pallet of 50 Lb gypsum bags when I was at beer camp, did you?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:08 am »

Bru'n water's Pale Ale profile has Calcium at 165 and Sulfate at 300.  I've had very good results with this.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:32 am »

Yep.  I tried to think about how many of the tsp. I usually use were in there, but it hurt my brain!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:36 pm »

Yep.  I tried to think about how many of the tsp. I usually use were in there, but it hurt my brain!

As an old engineer, off the top of my head - about 4 or 5 grams/tsp. 454 grams in a pound. So say 100 tsp/ pound, so 5000 tsp in a 50 lb bag, give or take a few.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »
As an old engineer, off the top of my head - about 4 or 5 grams/tsp. 454 grams in a pound. So say 100 tsp/ pound, so 5000 tsp in a 50 lb bag, give or take a few.

That would last me a while!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:21 pm »
So if I'm making a big American West Coast-style IPA (5-gallons), how much gypsum (in teaspoons) would I add to a low sulfate spring water?  Also, considering the same style of beer, however, with a very pale color, would I add more gypsum to lower the residual alkalinity (RA)?  If so, how much more gypsum (again, in teaspoons) would help bring out the hop pop?  And Sierra Nevada buys gypsum in 50-lb sacks!!!  Holy crap that's a lot of gypsum!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 06:27:12 am »
So if I'm making a big American West Coast-style IPA (5-gallons), how much gypsum (in teaspoons) would I add to a low sulfate spring water?  Also, considering the same style of beer, however, with a very pale color, would I add more gypsum to lower the residual alkalinity (RA)?  If so, how much more gypsum (again, in teaspoons) would help bring out the hop pop?  And Sierra Nevada buys gypsum in 50-lb sacks!!!  Holy crap that's a lot of gypsum!

I would think Sierra Nevada buys by the multiple pallet loads.

I have seen pallets of gypsum at Fullers, Bells, Stone, in addition to Sierra Nevada.

As far as how much gypsum to add, I can't tell you as you need to know the starting water and target value. Do a search on "Brunwater" and read the knowledge page. Or you can start with one teaspoon and see if you like it. If you want more dryness add 2 next time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:30:13 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »
hopf... I'll have to check the label for the mineral content of the spring water I use.  When would you suggest that gypsum be added... mash only... mash/sparge... or mash/sparge/boil?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:28:28 am »
If I don't need to adjust pH in the mash (most of the time), I add flavor salts in the boil.

Just make sure that if you're using a spreadsheet/calculator, you calculate ion concentrations based on your actual pre-boil volume. I think its pretty easy to mistakenly use your mash volume or your expected boil volume and over-estimate salt additions.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36:25 am »
Kyle has the way I would recommend it.

Get the mash pH right. Add the extra SO4 (and Ca) to the boil.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild