Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polenta  (Read 6268 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Polenta
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:45 am »
I made a popcorn beer many years ago.  It was very interesting to watch the popcorn dissolve into the mash tun!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:09 pm »
I just made a Mexican Lager with 25% yellow corn meal for my homebrew clubs' May meeting. CAP with about 30% corn meal is one of my standard beers. I also make an American Stock Ale with 30% corn meal. The latest batch I aged in a whiskey barrel. I enetered it in a competition and the judges dinged it for having DMS in the aroma. Idiots.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »
I find corn to be a pleasant addition to a few beers. I like the way it "softly" lightens the body as opposed to sugar which lightens the body but doesn't leave anything but alcohol.

I'm working with some recipes right now with corn grits that I am fairly excited about.

i used instant grits in my cap last summer and was pretty pleased.  i don't know about commercial use of instant grits and if cost effective over non instant and having to cook, but i doubt you will be dissapointed in the product
Don AHA member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Polenta
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »
I find corn to be a pleasant addition to a few beers. I like the way it "softly" lightens the body as opposed to sugar which lightens the body but doesn't leave anything but alcohol.

I'm working with some recipes right now with corn grits that I am fairly excited about.

i used instant grits in my cap last summer and was pretty pleased.  i don't know about commercial use of instant grits and if cost effective over non instant and having to cook, but i doubt you will be dissapointed in the product

Hard to find instant grits in bulk! But yeah, I used to use instant grits and I liked the results as well.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »
Does anyone brew with cornstarch instead?  Shouldn't it be the same?  I believe it gelatinizes at mash temperatures.  I have heard from one person who loves using it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Polenta
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:50 pm »
Does anyone brew with cornstarch instead?  Shouldn't it be the same?  I believe it gelatinizes at mash temperatures.  I have heard from one person who loves using it.

I used cornstarch once just to see if I could.  Worked fine, but it really doesn't have any flavor, unlike grits or polenta.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Polenta
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 08:00:20 am »
yeah, I've never used corn starch but all you have to do is taste it - it doesn't have a corn flavor like grits or even flaked maize.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:01 am »
My last brew was a cream ale that included corn, rice, and barley. Post-brew I realized I had doubled the rice and corn (by not halving it in a small recipe). I just bottled, and it's tasty. The corn definitely is there but in a nice way. The folks who asked for a "light" beer (my partner and our next-door-neighbor) will enjoy it, but I think I will too.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member