General Category > Zymurgy

mit schuss - thanks!

<< < (2/4) > >>

kramerog:
Looking forward to growing woodruff and turning it into syrup.  I may use some kind of preservative though. 

brewmiser:
Does anyone know if those syrup recipes are enough for a 5 gal batch?
Also, I'm looking at doing this at a beer festival so I need to be able to
add a little at a time, so I'm thinking spray bottles anyone have a better idea?

redbeerman:
I have found that a liter is enough for a five gallon batch.  My last batch I had pint of homemade himbeer and a 500ml of store bought waldmeister.  I use about 1/2 oz. - 1 oz. per glass.  The German restaurant I frequent has a tendency to add a bit too much for my tastes.

mtnrockhopper:
Sweet (literally). I'm going to try making elderberry syrup. I have frozen elderberries from a bush in my yard.

--- Quote from: kramerog on February 28, 2013, 03:00:39 PM ---Looking forward to growing woodruff and turning it into syrup.  I may use some kind of preservative though.

--- End quote ---

Really not needed. They are all essentially simple syrup with flavoring and a little extra acidity. Sugar in high concentrations is a great preservative due to osmotic pressure.  Think of the stress of adding yeast to high gravity beer and then remember that the specific gravity of simple syrup is ~1.350.

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on March 01, 2013, 07:18:36 AM ---Sweet (literally). I'm going to try making elderberry syrup. I have frozen elderberries from a bush in my yard.

--- Quote from: kramerog on February 28, 2013, 03:00:39 PM ---Looking forward to growing woodruff and turning it into syrup.  I may use some kind of preservative though.

--- End quote ---

Really not needed. They are all essentially simple syrup with flavoring and a little extra acidity. Sugar in high concentrations is a great preservative due to osmotic pressure.  Think of the stress of adding yeast to high gravity beer and then remember that the specific gravity of simple syrup is ~1.350.

--- End quote ---

+1  Right you are Jimmy.  I pressure can mine and still refrigerate after opening though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version