Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Recent Experience with Citra  (Read 13726 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: My Recent Experience with Citra
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:05:16 pm »
Oh come on! All things in moderation.  This was just a learning experience.  A data point that helps dial in the proper dosage. 

Now if that beer is unpalatable for you, I suggest that you plan on blending it with another less hoppy beer and enjoy it that way.  That may also help to define what the amount of a particular hop you can tolerate or enjoy.  I find Sorachi Ace the same way, pleasant in very restrained doses and easily overdosed. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:32 pm »
Oh come on! All things in moderation.  This was just a learning experience.  A data point that helps dial in the proper dosage. 

absolutely - don't get me wrong- I will gladly drink it - its still very good, and better than most or all of what I can buy in the store, but its just not my bag - I'm just glad that 5 of the 10gal will be enjoyed by others so I can move on to the next learning/brewing experience!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »
I think we're going to find more of this with the newer varieties of hops that are starting to be bred for their oil content. We currently adjust hop bitterness based on AA%, and we're probably going to have to start taking oil concentration into account with some of the newer varieties. I recently used Polaris (over 4ml/100g oil content) at my normal IPA levels in a brew and it totally overpowered all the other hops. Not only that, but the beer has that saturated hop-oil/resin character that I generally only get from over-the-top IIPA's.

I've seen Nelson dominate a hop blend as well, but that just may be that the vinous character is so distinct (as opposed to oil content). I do tend to back off on Citra if I want other hops to hold their own against it in a blend, but I really like the flavor (especially when paired with hops like Amarillo and Simcoe). I will often hop them at the same rate as the other hops, knowing that they may take the lead a bit. Or I'll just add more of a lower-oil hop so it stands up to the Citra better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 02:26:28 pm »
Are these 2012 crop?

Kyle - I hear you though I would say that Citra is more dominant that either Chinook or Simcoe, though the latter two are also quite dominant, Citra is head and shoulders above in that aspect.

I could go with you on that...

As stated above, I could also throw Nelson in that list. Mosaic was also pretty dominant in my last pale ale, using just 2 oz for dryhops (so much so that I called it a Mosaic Pale).
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline blatz

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »
Not only that, but the beer has that saturated hop-oil/resin character that I generally only get from over-the-top IIPA's.

its really interesting you mention that - in my last whirlpooled IPA I noticed this really 'hop oily' mouthfeel that I didn't really care for - sort of detracted a bit - I used a lot of the newer breed hops in it and I guess that is the culprit.

I noticed the same in this Citra APA, but I was starting to assume it was the whirlpooling, but i guess its the nature of the hops.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »

...Not only that, but the beer has that saturated hop-oil/resin character that I generally only get from over-the-top IIPA's...

One of the best food experiences in the world (IMO). As long as the flavor isn't grassy/vegetal.

I'm leaving work early to grab a pint of IPA now...

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:29 pm »
Interesting to see others' impressions of Citra. I like them, but my wife had one pint of Three Floyd's all-Citra Zombie Dust APA and told me I must brew something similar. I've brewed a couple of batches using 2011 crop, so I'll be curious if the flavors change when I start in on my 2012 supply.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline blatz

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »
so the keg of APA was a huge hit at the tough mudder this weekend. the intensity of the citra settled down a bit, and while I know I will tone it down considerably next time, it was actually enjoyable to me as well - I am looking forward to tapping the other keg I have at home.

could also have been the 12 mile/24 obstacle race that heightened our thirst but every one seemed to enjoy it - some people were even asking me if there was real lemon and orange in there.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:48 pm »
...my wife had one pint of Three Floyd's all-Citra Zombie Dust APA and told me I must brew something similar...

I. LOVE. THIS. BEER. In a small enough place, you can smell it before the bartender sets it on the bar.

Maybe its because its ALWAYS fresh, but they're doing some special things with hops at 3F.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 05:10:38 pm »
I have yet to taste an IPA with too much Citra in it, as long as it minimized the bittering/60 minute additions and focused on the flavor/aroma additions.  I can't get enough of those tropical fruit flavors.  Yes, I will readily accede to my taste being out of the mainstream  ;)

On the last IPA I brewed I used a half-pound of Citra (as well as 4 ounces of Zythos) in a 5 gal. Batch,  and it still wasn't enough.

I am a sucker for any big, multilayered flavor profile - food or drink.  Sake is not for me!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:22:05 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 12:35:46 am »
I have made 20 gallons (2 batches) of a Zombie Dust clone (citra was the only hop) using two different sources of 2011 hops, and both were very enjoyable.  The FreshHops leaf hops made the best batch.  I recently tried a local brewery Belgian IPA dry-hopped with 2012 Citra, and as I told the brewer it tasted like "fruit salad..., in a good way" and it is their best seller.

It was much more expressive of the fruity flavors than I got out of either of my batches made from the 2011 crop.

I definitely need to buy some 2012 citra and brew another citra APA, well after the next two brews on deck. 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 05:50:05 am »
Another data point:

Took a gravity reading/taste test of my Snow Day APA - it smells and tastes like 98% Citra and 2% "possible" Simcoe.

2012 Citra, btw.

Hop bill:
20 minute addition:
0.5 oz Simcoe
1/3 oz each of Mosaic, Centennial, Cascade & Citra
45 minute whirlpool addition:
0.5 oz Simcoe
2/3 oz each of Mosaic, Centennial, Cascade & Citra

I'm not really complaining, but I wanted more of a blend than just total Citra - I think I may force carb, bottle a few, then keg hop with Zythos, Simcoe & Mosaic and leave the Citra out of it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
I made an all Citra hopped IPA a few years ago (my attempt to ‘clone’ a Hill Farmstead Citra IPA). Citra hops are the most potent hops that I have ever brewed with! I only used 1.5 ounces for dry hopping and after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning I had a hard time drinking the beer; it was just too ‘in your face’ intense. An additional 1-2 weeks of conditioning permitted the hop aroma/flavor to mellow a bit and that beer was delicious. It had nice, enjoyable tropical fruit flavors to my palate. Some friends while drinking that beer noted an aroma/flavor of cat pee but they asked for seconds so I guess they like cat pee? I have read that Citra hops have a high amount of a compound 4MMP which some people perceive as being cat pee (apparently a higher incidence of this in women).

I brewed a Citra/Simcoe IPA where I bittered with Warrior and used a 50/50 blend of Citra/Simcoe for flavor, end of boil and dry hop additions. I thought this beer turned out great; I think that Citra and Simcoe complement each other.

Cheers!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:47 am »
I used 1 oz of Citra in my white wheat wonder. .25oz for 60 minutes, .5oz for 10 minutes, and .25oz for 5 minutes. Just one ounce gave this beer a very strong hop presence. I didn't like the Citra IPA I made last year but I actually find the taste of this white wheat beer quite pleasant. It absolutely has the citra aroma. I would describe it as balanced leaning toward hoppy.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS