Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain for just color  (Read 3969 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Grain for just color
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:02 am »
I am working on a Nut Brown ale recipe, and would like to adjust the color a little darker/more brown without changing the flavor or gravity.  I seem to recall a grain that is made for this purpose, but my grain cheat sheet doesn't list it.

What do you suggest?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Grain for just color
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:22 am »
I am working on a Nut Brown ale recipe, and would like to adjust the color a little darker/more brown without changing the flavor or gravity.  I seem to recall a grain that is made for this purpose, but my grain cheat sheet doesn't list it.

What do you suggest?

tiny bit of caraffa? added late in the mash or cold steeped with the 'tea' added to the boil? or that caraffa extract stuff cinemar (?)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:39 am »
Sinamar
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
In my experience you are not going to find a grain that "just adds color". There are ways to reduce the amount of flavor it will add, but you will still get some flavor. Sinmar is probably the best route to go to just add color.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »
denny and keith are correct, IMO, but Briess Midnight Wheat (?) has worked well for me in that I can add just a few ounces to a 12gal batch and I don't get anything I can detect out of it.  I think it might even be welcome in a NBA.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »
I love the midnight wheat but I still think it adds flavor. Granted, it's mellow and if you handle it correctly you can minimize the amount.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
A dark huskless malt (Midnight wheat, Carafa special) is probably the best choice. I just gave cold-steeping a try for my recent Alt and I'm impressed by how much smoother it is than even just capping the mash. I can barely detect any flavor from the Carafa in this Alt, but I got noticible roastiness in a recent amber from capping the mash with an ounce of Carafa III.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:49:47 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm headed to the LHBS, I'll see if they have some. 

The dilemma is caused by me being, at this level of experience, a recipe brewer.  So I hesitate to change a proven recipe.  The recipe does have 1/4 lb. of chocolate malt, that I thought about bumping up in order to get the color that I think would be appropriate.  Right now, according to BeerSmith it is at 14.3 SRM.  That just seems too much on the light side IMO.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:28:34 pm »
A dark huskless malt (Midnight wheat, Carafa special) is probably the best choice. I just gave cold-steeping a try for my recent Alt and I'm impressed by how much smoother it is than even just capping the mash. I can barely detect any flavor from the Carafa in this Alt, but I got noticible roastiness in a recent amber from capping the mash with an ounce of Carafa III.

Is there an online resource that describes this process?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
Near the bottom of the FAQ's page is a brief explanation on how they make Carafa.  It is a "huskless" roasted malt.

http://www.weyermann.de/cz/faq.asp?umenue=yes&idmenue=62&sprache=2

Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 06:31:05 pm »

Is there an online resource that describes this process?

There are a lot of ways to do this. I just crushed a couple of ounces of Carafa III and steeped it in about a quart of water overnight at ambient temp. I then added it to the boil with my first late hop addition.

Here's some more info -

Scroll down about a page or so:

http://www.cascade-brewers.com/faq/

Here's a recent thread on the topic:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14182.0
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »
Thank you!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »
If you are only steeping  a few ounces a coffee press would work if you have one.  They work well for hop tea and bacon extract.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 08:50:55 pm »
If you are only steeping  a few ounces a coffee press would work if you have one.  They work well for hop tea and bacon extract.

Yep, I need to buy one to infuse some coffee in a cream stout that is just finishing fermentation, so that is a great idea.
Steve
BJCP #D1667