Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Brian Hall  (Read 2143 times)

Offline chugachbrewing

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio: Brian Hall
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »

Who Are You (please include a picture):   Brian Hall

Home Town (City, State):  Portland Maine

Homebrew Club:  The Mashing Maineiacs

I've been a homebrewer since:  2003 was my first oops, kicked back up in 2004

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?  Every Pumpkin Ale I've ever made. 

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?  Wild/Sour/Lambic

What style(s) will you never brew?  None. 

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  Raspberry Wheat  How did it turn out?  Tasted like ham. 

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?  Yes.  I went to combine two kegs into one, I thought they were both Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter... but one was a Flanders Red turns out I did a 40/60 blend of Porter and a Flanders Red.  We called it the "Blind Date."  I let it age for another 6 months... came out great. 

What is your favorite beer recipe?  Flanders Red/Lambic

Are you a BJCP Judge?  Nope 

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?  Always be patient.  Don't rush things and keep things clean. 

Describe your brew system.  Two systems:  55 gallon Blichmans, all grain, and 15 gallon keggles, all grain. 7 gallon coolship for spontaneous batches.  Six 15 gallon fermenters, and shmogesboard of carboys.  Two french oak wine barrels for aging, and one 'departed' whiskey barrel,for staves from into corny kegs. eight draft lines in the house. 

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  1-2x a month, more in summer. 

What is your favorite malt? Aromatic Why? It's delicious!

What is your favorite hop? Aged Why?  Lambics, baby. 

Do you have a favorite or house yeast?  Roselare, 2nd and 3rd generations. 

What qualities do you like about that yeast?  With time it produces beers with amazing complexity. 

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?  Yes, in fact I would like some funding for starting my brewery, thanks for asking!

If you could serve your homebrew to someome famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him?  I'd give some to Jeff Lebesch.  He really inspired me to brew better beer. 

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?  Cardamom... I normally stick to the reinheitsgebot

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?  1st Place in a local competition last spring.  Only entered two competitions.  Mostly brew for drinkin' :)

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?  My wife occasionally.  When we met she was in college taking a class called "Zymurgy 101"

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outdoor!

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?
Blind Date
Apple Bottom Blonde
Isolated Incident
Pelletier Sour
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:15:40 PM by chugachbrewing »