Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keg slush  (Read 6045 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
keg slush
« on: June 12, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »
Guys ive kegged many beers but this is a 1st. My pale ale and Wit are slush!. I've raised the temp in my keezer to 40 and they are slowly thawing. I also turned off the Co2 so at the moment they are not carbing up. Im hoping the beers will be ok. I opened one of the kegs making sure my hands were sanitized to check on the thawing. This really suck. Not sure why it happened. The keezer stays above freezing. Had to be a combo of the keezer and the cold Co2, but its never happened before.

Anyone ever have the happen and still have a good beer?

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
keg slush
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »
Had a buddy have this happen. He said it completely changed the beer. Hope that's not the case here, but you may have some interesting brew.
Trey W.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: keg slush
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
Dissolved CO2 depresses the freezing point - the kegs could very well have turned to slush when you opened them to take a look.  It has happened to me with really cold soda, you open the lid and the whole thing turns to slush.

So put the CO2 back on, and try not to worry about it.  I think it will be detrimental to those styles of beer, but you won't know for sure until it is thawed.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:09:42 am »
I had 2 kegs freeze and didn't realize it until they were empty of liquid.  What I had created was ice distilled porter and Irish red ale and they were both delicious, but way stronger than I wanted.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:22:57 am »
I froze a couple kegs this winter while Lagering in my travel trailer. Both beers were great.

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:12:59 am »
Sounds good guys. I will wait and see what happens. Might be some damn good beer or not.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:23:49 am »
I think if it was good before it will be good after, but it might be different.  A friend of mine freezes his light lagers intentionally, he says they are much cleaner tasting after thawing.  For pale ale and wit that might not be what you want so they may be a bit out of style.  That's doesn't mean they'll be bad though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:49 am »
Your wit might be clear after freezing.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
I had a keg of bitter freeze on me. Once it had thawed I drew what turned out to be very similar to a fine Bourbon. After a few mind-bending pints of that I realized the keg hadn't thawed completely. Once it had thawed, what came out was more like Schlitz than any bitter but still drank well. 8)

Ice-cold beer is what I was raised on and the climate here is conducive to that, but turning the thermostat up a few degrees will help. I started serving my beer about 10 degrees warmer and haven't had a freezing incident since.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:25 am »
Why are these beers freezing? Is it a malfunction of the freezer/temp controller? I'm switching from a fridge to a chest freezer and now I'm nervous my beer will freeze some random time...Maybe it's from the keg sitting against the freezer wall? The freezer walls get pretty cold, I could see them partially freezing a keg, maybe.
Jesse

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:30:13 am »
Do you have a fan inside your keezer?  That will even things out! The only time I had a problem with freezing was when my Ranco probe fell into the water on the freezer floor.  Temp said 135deg, thermometer inside said 17.  Best/clearest pilsner EVER!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »
Why are these beers freezing? Is it a malfunction of the freezer/temp controller? I'm switching from a fridge to a chest freezer and now I'm nervous my beer will freeze some random time...Maybe it's from the keg sitting against the freezer wall? The freezer walls get pretty cold, I could see them partially freezing a keg, maybe.

I wouldn't worry about this. I used to keep my keezer at 33*F with no issues. (Before I had Spiegelau glasses.) Now it's at 38*F and still no problems.

I also keep my lagering chamber at 1*C. Chest freezer. No freezing issues.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 12:38:24 pm »

No Clue why they froze. Never happen before in my keezer. Hope it was just a fluke thing. Keezer is never below freezing.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:46 pm »
In my case the temp probe on the controller got shoved against the inside wall of the freezer and it dropped the temp to around 20F for a few days before I realized  what had happened.  I had the probe in a piece of 1/2 inch tubing glued in the corner of the freezer, but I didn't think to seal the bottom of the tubing and the probe fell out.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico