Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping in a keg  (Read 1753 times)

Offline guido

• Brewer
Dry hopping in a keg
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »
Has anyone ever dry hoped in a keg?  I like the idea that I can keep the beer away from oxygen.  (I pressurized the keg to 10 psi)  The hops are in a bag weighted with aquarium glass that's tied on a string to the keg lid.  The only problem I see is that I a hard time getting 2 oz. of whole hops in the keg.  My pale ales and IPA's are at least 4 oz. dry hops.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Dry hopping in a keg
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »
Yes, I do it all the time and lots of other people on the forum do to.  Works great...with pellets.  I've used whole hops before and it's a pain so I just dry hop with pellets anymore.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:47:52 pm »
Pellets in a hop sack.  I would not throw them in without one :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:09:35 am »
I use a woman's knee high nylon (white & sanitized in starsan). I throw in a 1/2" stainless steel nut for weight & tie it off, then the pellet hops, then tie off the opening and put it in the keg (no strings attached).  CO2 to purge the O2 and leave it on CO2 @ 20 lbs. for 7 days @ room temp to dry hop. Then into the kegerator (without removing the hops).  Leave it for a day to chill & settle and start enjoying.  If you're going to leave it at room temp after its dry hopped then I'd prolly remove the hops to avoid the "grassy" flavor. I always plan it so it goes into the kegerator right after dry hopping so I never remove the hops. The cold seems to stop the "grassy" flavor from appearing. YMMV... Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:57 am »
+1. I also use the knee high nylon with marbles as weights.  MY current beer on tap is an APA dry hopped in keg. Love it. I agree that the cold seems to keep the grassiness to a minimum.
Jon H.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »
Pellets in a hop sack.  I would not throw them in without one :)

Yes, a hop sack of some variety is key.  I forgot to mention that part.
Clint
Wort Hogs