Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going 1BBL, how do I setup beersmith Equipment  (Read 5036 times)

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
Going 1BBL, how do I setup beersmith Equipment
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
Secifically how do I ramp the hop utilization? Has anyone set this up in brewsmith?
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Going 1BBL, how do I setup beersmith Equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:05:10 am »
In your equipment profile, you can set your hop utilization factor.  IIRC the factor for 20 gal is 110%, 1BBL volumes and above is 125% but I brew 10gal so what the heck do I know?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:06 am »
In your equipment profile, you can set your hop utilization factor.  IIRC the factor for 20 gal is 110%, 1BBL volumes and above is 125% but I brew 10gal so what the heck do I know?

You seem to know somthing, at least it sounds like you do. Thanks
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:09 am »

Boy, that sounds kinda weird.  I usually see hop utilization numbers in the 20% range.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:40 am »

Boy, that sounds kinda weird.  I usually see hop utilization numbers in the 20% range.
Denny, I think the utilization factor is relative, not absolute, so if 10 gal batch is normal then for a 1bbl batch you would use 20% less than the scaled up amount you would expect.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:23 am »
I'd go straight to Brad Smith on that question. He's always been super responsive to any inquiries I've made regarding tweaking the program with the correct profiles, etc.  I'm sure you won't be the first one asking that question either.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:54:11 am »
I'd go straight to Brad Smith on that question. He's always been super responsive to any inquiries I've made regarding tweaking the program with the correct profiles, etc.  I'm sure you won't be the first one asking that question either.

+1.  Also, there is a video on his website on how to set your equipement profile. 

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »

+1.  Also, there is a video on his website on how to set your equipement profile.

The Video is not that informative.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:17:30 am »
Bummer.  Sorry for bad stear

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »
Bummer.  Sorry for bad stear

Not a big deal, im just looking for a mor definate answer, maybe from someone that already has the same system and can just say here is how its done. Its ok just wanted to skirt some of the hit and miss.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 02:54:11 pm »

Secifically how do I ramp the hop utilization? Has anyone set this up in brewsmith?

^^^ This is how to change it.  There is no set chart for increases, too many variables. 10-20% increases is what you could expect.