Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53472 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2010, 11:30:10 am »
We don't really have many different styles in terms of the crust, but the toppings are where the variation comes in.  Most of the pizza here is "thin crust" although none is really as thin as NY style.  There is some pan pizza.  It pretty much all gets get like slices of pie, with an exception or two I'm sure.

Do they cut it into 16 slices up there? I hated getting pizza out in CA when I was living there. I actually used to insist that they cut it into 8 slices at the one Papa John's. Ocho? Si, Ocho. No mas. Ocho.
There's no rule - I've seen as few as four slices on a large pie  ;D  I see 6 or 8 commonly, but sometimes 12 or 16.  You might have to ask for 16, I usually only see that when someone orders pizza for a meeting or something.  That's the only time I see a round pie cut into "squares" too.

That's called a "Chicago-cut" in the biz. Why? I don't have a clue. But, you can feed more people with the same size pie.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2010, 11:38:16 am »
We don't really have many different styles in terms of the crust, but the toppings are where the variation comes in.  Most of the pizza here is "thin crust" although none is really as thin as NY style.  There is some pan pizza.  It pretty much all gets get like slices of pie, with an exception or two I'm sure.

Do they cut it into 16 slices up there? I hated getting pizza out in CA when I was living there. I actually used to insist that they cut it into 8 slices at the one Papa John's. Ocho? Si, Ocho. No mas. Ocho.
There's no rule - I've seen as few as four slices on a large pie  ;D  I see 6 or 8 commonly, but sometimes 12 or 16.  You might have to ask for 16, I usually only see that when someone orders pizza for a meeting or something.  That's the only time I see a round pie cut into "squares" too.

That's called a "Chicago-cut" in the biz. Why? I don't have a clue. But, you can feed more people with the same size pie.
You mean you can give more people appetizers :)  I wouldn't exactly call it "feeding" them.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:51 am »
Well you can serve more people. I guess "feed" sounds like it would apply only to animals but my experience that's exactly the case in office parties and meetings.  ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:17 pm »
Of late I have been doing cicilian style crusts, in a sheet pan cause my pizza stone broke. The best one so far was swiss chard, caramalized onions and chanterelles with a garlic cream sauce
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:18 pm »
Man, I want to make pizza now. I'm dying for deep-dish up here in the land of the almighty thin-crust. There used to be a Chicago-style place in Baltimore, I'm pretty sure it was in the old Towson Plaza, that had a ridiculously high cross-section. I still miss that place.

Anyway, can you make deep-dish in a cast iron skillet or do you need some sort of special pan?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2010, 01:15:11 pm »
I think what you suggest is very feasible. Give it a shot.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »
Man, I want to make pizza now. I'm dying for deep-dish up here in the land of the almighty thin-crust. There used to be a Chicago-style place in Baltimore, I'm pretty sure it was in the old Towson Plaza, that had a ridiculously high cross-section. I still miss that place.

Anyway, can you make deep-dish in a cast iron skillet or do you need some sort of special pan?

I bet a cast iron skillet with straight sides would be awesome. I bet if you could pre-heat the skillet and then drop the pizza in it would be really flaky and crispy and yum.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
Anyone ever eaten at Aurelio's in Chicago. Perhaps this is the standard for Chicago Style Pizza...

...or so I'm told.

I wanna go!  8)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4084.40.html
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2010, 03:49:47 pm »
My daughter baked at Whole Foods and then at an upscale restaurant in Albuquerque for a while.  She makes an incredible pizza dough and I make a pretty good sauce with herbs from the garden   Our 2 favorite pizzas are spicy shrimp with red bell peppers and onion, and garlic chicken with green chiles.
I once ordered a pizza in my wife's town in France.   It had some weird combo of ingredients like artichokes and asparagus with ham and eggs.  When the waiter brought it to me there wasn't any visible egg, but then he cracked a freakin raw egg right in the middle of the pie.  It sizzled until it was at least sunny side up but it pretty much ruined an already unappetizing pizza.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:40 am »
My daughter baked at Whole Foods and then at an upscale restaurant in Albuquerque for a while.  She makes an incredible pizza dough and I make a pretty good sauce with herbs from the garden   Our 2 favorite pizzas are spicy shrimp with red bell peppers and onion, and garlic chicken with green chiles.
I once ordered a pizza in my wife's town in France.   It had some weird combo of ingredients like artichokes and asparagus with ham and eggs.  When the waiter brought it to me there wasn't any visible egg, but then he cracked a freakin raw egg right in the middle of the pie.  It sizzled until it was at least sunny side up but it pretty much ruined an already unappetizing pizza.

That sounds about right. There's a pizza truck we go to sometimes that parks down the road from us; he has a lot of great combinations, but that egg one is a bit eh for me. My wife loves loves loves it. You gotta remember in France eggs are -not- a breakfast food, so it "makes sense" to put it on a pizza.

Me, I'll take anchovies and pepperoni, thankyouverymuch.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:03 am »
I had an incredible neapolitan-style pizza at an Italian trattoria in the Quartier Latin last time I was in Paris (2005).  In fact, it was salami and anchovies now that I think of it:).

Eggs aren't just a breakfast food in other countries too.  They're used in lunch and dinner dishes all over hispanic countries (e.g., street-style enchiladas topped with a fried egg in Mexico).
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline flapjack

• Cellarman
  • Oak Park, IL
    • Flapjack Brew Club
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2010, 08:53:57 am »
The new trend is to stick a fried egg on everything, especially burgers and pizza. I've had them on burgers and they are excellent.
James
Flapjack Brew Club

On Tap: FlapJack O'lantern Pumpkin Cream Ale
Fermenting: Power Sit-Up Golden Strong Ale
Fermenting: Full Inch Imperial IPA
Next Brew: Vigilante Imperial Stout

Offline flapjack

• Cellarman
  • Oak Park, IL
    • Flapjack Brew Club
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:06 am »
Anyone ever eaten at Aurelio's in Chicago. Perhaps this is the standard for Chicago Style Pizza...

...or so I'm told.

Bluesman, I've had Aurelio's many times and its great, the sauce is a little sweeter than most places. I don't get to have it much but when I do I go with their thin crust specialty pizza called the Super Six (The works - Sausage, Cheese, Green Pepper, Ham, Pepperoni, Mushrooms)

James
Flapjack Brew Club

On Tap: FlapJack O'lantern Pumpkin Cream Ale
Fermenting: Power Sit-Up Golden Strong Ale
Fermenting: Full Inch Imperial IPA
Next Brew: Vigilante Imperial Stout

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2010, 10:23:28 am »

...or so I'm told.

Bluesman, I've had Aurelio's many times and its great, the sauce is a little sweeter than most places. I don't get to have it much but when I do I go with their thin crust specialty pizza called the Super Six (The works - Sausage, Cheese, Green Pepper, Ham, Pepperoni, Mushrooms)

That looks and sounds like a winner. I hear the secret to their pizza is in the sauce.
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:09 am »
John's in Manhattan is pretty good.  The place on 44th street with the dome is cool! 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim