Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53670 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:09 pm »
There's a sauce sold commercially called Don Pepino pizza sauce...it is excellent for a commercially canned sauce.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 05:30:45 am »
There's a sauce sold commercially called Don Pepino pizza sauce...it is excellent for a commercially canned sauce.  ;)

I would venture to say it is the best commercial sauce.  It is what I have used for over 10 years.  Made in south Jersey IIRC.  After trying it, I saw no reason to use anything else.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 07:21:25 am »
Here's some info on Don Pepino Pizza Sauce.

http://www.donpepino.com/salessheets/DP-Pizza-Sauce.pdf
Ron Price

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:28 am »
Here's some info on Don Pepino Pizza Sauce.

I may pick up a can or two of this. I think I can get it at a store near me.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
Here's my version of Buffalo Chicken Pizza.

I tried it at a local Grotto's Pizza and it was very good.

It's made with chunked boneless chicken breast marinated in hot sauce and butter. Then assembled on my standard pizza dough with some Blue Cheese Dressing and mozzarella cheese and baked at 550F for 7-8 minutes.

Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 11:03:58 am »
I started doing BC pizzas about six years ago when one of my neighbors mentioned it.  I use olive oil instead of butter and I put it over mozz on the pie and use the blue cheese dressing on the side.  It's not my favorite, but folks that come over for it eat the crap out of it and love it.  I use Frank's hot pepper sauce (I put that #%* on everything).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 11:14:57 am »
I started doing BC pizzas about six years ago when one of my neighbors mentioned it.  I use olive oil instead of butter and I put it over mozz on the pie and use the blue cheese dressing on the side.  It's not my favorite, but folks that come over for it eat the crap out of it and love it.  I use Frank's hot pepper sauce (I put that #%* on everything).

I actually used Frank's for this pie. It has a nice flavor to it...not too hot for my wife but yet has a nice little zing zang to it.
Ron Price

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 09:40:11 am »
Finally got a pizza stone for christmas.  Made a couple pies Christmas weekend then I quickly ordered a peel and a screen.  Unfortunately on the 4th pie, the stone split in half!   Two days later my peel and screen were delivered.   Debating on trying a pie tomorrow and just putting the two pieces of the stone together in the oven and cooking it on that.   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »
Was your stone wet when you put it in the oven? Some of the cast or clay pizza stones will be very pourus and can even have voids within them if it was a bad cast.

If you put these types of stones in the oven wet there is considerable expansion when the water steams off. This can make them crack.

If it wasnt wet maybe it was just plain bad casting and you can return it for an exchange.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »
Yeah, didn't even go 30 days past Christmas - definitely deserve a free replacement.
My PC Stone is probably 5 years old.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »
Yeah it'll be replaced no charge just gonna take a little bit of time which sucks.   My new peel and screen are sitting in the packages uselss until then...
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »
I like it kinda well done...

Pepperoni, 2 other kinds of sausage (Volpi brand), red bell, onion, fresh bella 'shrooms, mozz, with cheddar at the edge, liberal dose of parmesan and oregano. 450 degree oven.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:58:11 pm by beerocd »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »
I like it kinda well done...

Pepperoni, 2 other kinds of sausage (Volpi brand), red bell, onion, fresh bella 'shrooms, mozz, with cheddar at the edge, liberal dose of parmesan and oregano. 450 degree oven.

Looks good.

What dough formulation did you use?
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »

What dough formulation did you use?

PIZZA DOUGH WITH BEER (Zojirushi Bread Maker Manual)

1-1/2 cups Flat Beer
3-3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp. Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 Tbsp. Butter
1-1/2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »
After looking at everyone's delicious posts, I had to try to make a pie last weekend.  I didn't have time to do the Lehmann formulation that you guys were all talking about so I settled on one that was ready in a couple hours that a buddy found online.  It was good, but the crust was a little too much, a little too filling, so I will be trying it the other way next weekend.

Anywho, I still have a ton of homegrown pesto in the freezer, so the pizza was topped with a pesto cream sauce, fresh Mozz, mild provolone, green peppers, tomato slices, fresh garlic, and bacon.  I had originally planned on having Hot Italian Sausage on there but had forgotten that I had used it all up making some homemade gravy the prior weekend.  It came out awesome, and with a few changes to crust formulation, I know it can be excellent!  I really liked the way the pesto/bacon/garlic all played together.  Since there was plenty of pesto cream on there I decided to pair it with a Defiant Tripel I had just brought back to Colorado from visiting the fam on the East Coast.  Another excellent pairing!

Here's the Pie: