Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza Fatta en Casa  (Read 53405 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: Pizza Fatta en Casa
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2010, 06:01:39 am »
Reviving an old thread to post some pics of my latest Chicago-style pie.  I've been a fan of the style for a long time, but have only recently starting making my own.

Hey, that crust is a beauty! Mind sharing the recipe? We use a ceramic deep dish stone and have trouble getting anything besides a cracker-like crust. Maybe I'm not using enough butter?

Sure, here's the recipe I've been making.  I made it again last night and it was the best yet.  Third time's the charm, I guess. 8)

KAAP = King Arthur All-Purpose flour; all the ingredient proportions are in weights and baker's percentages.

Dough
Flour (80% KAAP, 20% semolina) (100%): 7.3 oz (5.75 oz KAAP, 1.45 oz semolina)
Water (45.2%): 3.3 oz
IDY (.50%): .34 tsp
Kosher salt (1%): .07 oz (scant 1/2 tsp)
Sugar (1.4%): .10 oz
Corn oil (14%): 1.0 oz
Olive oil (classic, not EVOO) 4.2%): .50 oz
Butter, melted (3%): .20 oz

Total weight: around between 12.50 - 12.55 oz

Mix all ingredients until they just come together and knead by hand for about 1 minute.  Form into a dough ball and place in well-oiled bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area of the kitchen for 2-3 hours.  Then, place in the refrigerator and let the dough do a cold rise over night.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator about two hours prior to baking the pizza.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F at least 30 minutes to baking the pizza.

Oil the pizza pan and place the dough ball inside.  Flatten the dough and work it so that it covers the entire bottom of the pan.  Crimp the dough hard at the sides of the pan so that it comes up the sides 1.5 inches.

Dress the pizza starting with a layer of sliced mozzarella.  Then layer with raw italian sausage, drained 6-in-1 tomatoes, a dried Italian herb blend, some sprinkles of red pepper flakes, and grated parmesan.

Bake pizza on the bottom rack of the oven until the crust is golden brown.  If the top isn’t as browned as you’d like, move the pizza to an upper oven rack for the last 20 minutes of baking.  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:05:06 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2010, 06:50:03 am »
Sure, here's the recipe I've been making.  I made it again last night and it was the best yet.  Third time's the charm, I guess. 8)

Hey, thanks!

Have you tried the mixing-in-a-food-processor method for this dough? I use it for my NY-style pizzas and it works pretty well. Also I don't have to get my hands too messy and the dough is typically ready for a cold rise in about 1 minute.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2010, 07:06:23 am »

Chicago style is not pizza.  Just sayin'. ;)  Flame suit on.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2010, 07:11:46 am »

Chicago style is not pizza.  Just sayin'. ;)  Flame suit on.

You asked for it.

;D  ;)  :-*

Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2010, 07:21:05 am »

Hey, thanks!

Have you tried the mixing-in-a-food-processor method for this dough? I use it for my NY-style pizzas and it works pretty well. Also I don't have to get my hands too messy and the dough is typically ready for a cold rise in about 1 minute.

I haven't tried the food processor method with Chicago style. But the key with this dough is not overworking it. It doesn't take more than a minute or two to get the ingredients mixed and to shape it into a smooth dough ball. It's not a sticky dough either.

Also, I mix all the dry ingredients together and all the wet ones together and then mix them.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2010, 02:30:54 pm »
Looks great, gonna give this a go.

Pizza literally translates to pie so Chicago pie being more like pie is more authentic to the word.  ;)

Scampi translates to shrimp. So Pizza pie = pie pie, and shrimp scampi = shrimp shrimp.

I love Chicago pie, it becomes a better vehicle for more toppings, or in this case stuffing.

Lets see a cross section. Thats what makes a Chicago pie, the elevation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:21:32 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2010, 07:04:43 am »
I have eaten them and I have made them, but I don't recall seeing anything like a Chicago pie in Italy. ;)  They also tend to be a bit more messy to eat than a flat pie which is why they are not really street food like traditional pizza is.   By the way what's gamberi then? Or perhaps gamberetti?
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2010, 06:44:05 am »
If Italy sets the standard for pizza in the U.S. then there are only a handful of places (probably under 10) in this country that actually make "pizza" (i.e., VPN certified).   ;)

Anyway, here is another Chicago-style pie I made last week, with a shot of the cross-section.  In my experience, Chicago-style pies are not as topping heavy as you might expect.  The one in the photos is basically a clone of Lou Malnati's "The Lou," which is just mozzarella, mild italian sausage, sauce, and some grated parmesan.  Simple, but so tasty!

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2010, 06:46:09 am »
And, just for S&G, here's one of three NY-style pizzas I made last night for family that came over for dinner.  It's just a simple pepperoni and sausage.  I made a margherita-style pizza with goat cheese and a plain pepperoni pizza too.

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2010, 11:28:28 am »
How'd you get that thing so ROUND  ??? My NY pies come out a bit more lop-sided:

That's boudin noir (blood sausage) with red onion and a bit of homemade hot sauce, although it's hard to tell.

We had this with it, though:

Mmmm.. Rauchbierrrrr..
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:56 pm »
bluesman,

I have two screens and with one of them, the pizza always sticks.  With the other, the pizza transfers very easily.  I've taken a close look at both of them and can't see any discernible difference.  But it may be your screen that is the issue.  Just a thought.

Were the screens seasoned? Just like cast iron they need to be seasoned with pam (or similar) and baked at 350 for an hour before use. If they weren't then you're lucky both didn't stick. Screens make it easy but I don't feel that they cook exactly the way I want them to. Prefer the dough to cooking surface contact.

I use 4 thick unglazed tiles as a stone in my oven which works pretty good. Cost me less than $5 and I can cook a 14" pizza. No screen. Just slide off the peel.

And, I'm more of a thin-crust NY style guy. Maybe because it's hard to get real Chicago pizza anywhere else.

Maybe I'll try a thin-crust in the BGE in the next few days. Get it up to 900F and cook the pizza in seconds!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2010, 12:57:17 pm »
Whats the idea behind the screen.  I prefer the contact too. I also prefer a rustic looking pizza, wonky is OK by me,

I always check pizza shop pizza, as rule if it was made on a screen it is not very good pizza. If no screen marks it is pretty good.

I have always looked at the screen as a cheat. Make sucky dough and you need a screen. I say that in reference to pizza from a shop. Not sure if it applies to homemade pizza. Maybe I am missing something.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »
It's strictly a handling issue for producing lots of pizza quickly without messing them up. That's my experience- worked in the biz for ten years. And the old Baker's Pride deck ovens are the best. Takes real skill to cook pizza in them during a rush. They produce a better pizza than a conveyor (convection) oven IMO.

I used to have a cicatrice of burns and scars on my hands and forearms from whirling pizzas in and out of the ovens... Good times... :-\

You've never lived until you've re-burned a healing burn. But cap you probably know something about that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »
Yeah, I had my arms in a pizza oven before. A little longer than I wanted to for sure. Tough job in the summer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:51 pm »
My pizzas are always somewhat wonky looking.  We do them on the grill pretty frequently, or in the over if the weather is too bad.  I don't really love deep dish pizza, but Northlake Tavern near work is famous around Seattle for it.  It's not quite Chicago style I don't think (I'm no expert), but it's more Chicago than NY style for sure.
Tom Schmidlin