Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry yeast for rye ipa  (Read 5134 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
dry yeast for rye ipa
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:17 am »
I'm trying to decide what yeast i want to use for rye ipa.
The standard of US-05, and S-04 are what i normally use and have produced what i'm looking for in my other beers. I have i was thinking that US-56 or T-58 could be interesting. would the t-58 and the rye be too much? I plan on doing an extract with NB rye extract malt, w/specialty grains.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: dry yeast for rye ipa
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:40:37 am »
I think the combo of T-58, rye, and IPA-hopping rates may be a bit too much.

I'd try the rye/T-58 combo first in a pale, rye beer (somewhat of a cross between BPA and a light saison). If that's to your liking, bump up the hopping rates a bit in the next go around.

I actually had to look up US-56, which I believe has been renamed US-05.

US-04 and US-05 are both great yeasts for IPA. I prefer the US-04, because it drops out fully and quickly leaving you with a clear beer in a short amount of time. US-04 gets a bit too estery for some palates if pitched above 65F, so US-05 is your best bet if you're forced to ferment at 65F or higher.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:37:08 am »
I am not sure about using T-58 for a Rye IPA, but I have never tried it either.  It might have a bit to much Belgian character for my taste.  I have always used S-05 for my IPA's because it is easier to work with than 1056 but it does not flocculate as well as I would like it to (i.e. as well as 1056).  S-04 would also be a good choice but as has been mentioned it does get somewhat estery if you ferment it on the warm side
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:55:58 am »
For my tastes, I wouldn't use T-58 for anything that has "IPA" in the name.  IMO, 05 would be the way to go.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:21 am »
For my tastes, I wouldn't use T-58 for anything that has "IPA" in the name.  IMO, 05 would be the way to go.

Is T-58 more of a saison yeast or a classic Belgian Abbey-type yeast? I read a few descriptors online, but didn't get a whole lot of specifics.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:14:41 am »
The standard of US-05, and S-04 are what i normally use and have produced what i'm looking for in my other beers. I have i was thinking that US-56 or T-58 could be interesting. would the t-58 and the rye be too much? I plan on doing an extract with NB rye extract malt, w/specialty grains.

What hops are you planning on using?
Trey W.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:46 am »

Is T-58 more of a saison yeast or a classic Belgian Abbey-type yeast? I read a few descriptors online, but didn't get a whole lot of specifics.

IMO, it's closest to a wit yeast.  Pretty phenolic (not in a bad way), restrained fruitiness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »
Thanks for suggestions.  I will probably go with us 05.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:02 am »

What hops are you planning on using?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/10289/altiltude-rye-ipa

cluster, Chinook, Columbus, Amarillo