Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Password for GABF Pre-sale  (Read 12271 times)

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Password for GABF Pre-sale
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:06 pm »

That is an absolutely pathetic business strategy to acknowledge it by saying "well, maybe next year".  No, F that.  Why the hell would half the people who are here re-apply if it can't get them benefits that supposedly come with it?  As someone who sees the strategies of hundreds of businesses on a regular basis, that is really sad and a good way to fail.

First, the AHA isn't in this purely for business.  The AHA exists primarily for education and to stand up for the rights of homebrewers and craft brewers nationwide.  Secondly, if I wasn't trying to save up for a down payment on a ring and a car I would have tried to make GABF this year and would've been frustrated witht the situation as well.  But my ability to get tickets wouldn't prevent me from renewing my memebership to the AHA.  I'm still getting the many other benefits that come with an AHA membership:

1.  The member discount program to breweries, pubs and homebrew shops.
2.  Zymurgy Magazine
3.  Access to homebrewing advice from veteran homebrewers and pro brewers through this very forum.
4.  Belonging to an organization that stands up for the rights of homebrewers, craft brewers and beer lovers on a state and national scale- without which the GABF and other beer fests wouldn't be possible.

Best wishes on getting your tickets tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:56:54 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline j_piper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »
Well I went to the AHA site and sent an email to Gary the head of AHA.  Told him in no uncertain terms that I believe the system for these tickets to be total crap and that if they really think it works look on Stub Hub and see the many hundreds of "members only" tickets on sale for outrageous prices.

Doubt I will get a response, next year I'm going to the Epic Beer Fest in June, screw this.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 06:25:17 am »
Really? Why do they care? What if you couldn't attend a game, you are just supposed to eat the tickets?
They actually allow me to post on their site and season ticket waiting list members can purchase them.  They do also allow for private sales, but if that person gets drunk and starts a fight, I could lose my tickets.  Through the team site I'm off the hook.

I think their problem with stubhub is the markup people get and they don't get a piece.

Let's see, GABF = $65, Seahawks Season Season tickets = $4,000

$4000?  Let's hope that's for more than 2 tickets.  If not, I'm going to stop complaining when the Patriots send me my bill every year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:27:01 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 06:36:09 am »
But, I do understand what you're saying.  But I know how hard the staff at the AHA works.  And I'm starting to get that same knowledge with the BA folks.  In fact I think they share some staff members. 

And I appreciate their work, even if it's not perfect.

I don't believe that anyone who has been around the AHA for a while (i.e. not just the people who signed up to get in on the presale) thinks for a moment that these people do not work their asses off for this great hobby.

That said, with the issues with NHC registration, 1st round competition entries, and now GABF (2 years in a row from what I'm hearing), there definitely needs to be some action taken to address these situations.  It is only going to get worse as more and more people get into homebrewing (rumor has it there will be 4000 people at NHC next year ) and craft beer.  Whether or not these events are the fault of the BA/AHA, it reflects badly on the brand and makes it more difficult to sell.  GABF was not a concern for me since I never plan on going, but if something similar happened for NHC, I would be rather upset.

I realize the growth of the AHA is astronomical, and I'm sure everything is being done that can be.  Maybe once this recent debacle settles down, Gary can issue a statement to the membership detailing what steps are being taken to prevent or at least, minimize these issues.

For now, I am glad to continue my AHA membership and plan to renew when it is up, mostly due to the items listed above.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:41:07 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 07:28:22 am »
First, the AHA isn't in this purely for business.  The AHA exists primarily for education and to stand up for the rights of homebrewers and craft brewers nationwide.

I definitely agree that BA (and AHA as a subsidiary) is not primarily in the business of running conventions but you also can't ignore that they run three of the biggest, if not the biggest, beer conventions in the country (NHC, GABF, CBC). If the BA staff is having substantial issues organizing the events then it's probably an indication that they need more staff or a more professional staff organizing the events. It seems the events are too big for the ability of the current staff.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Furbinator409

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:55 am »
I appreciate reverseapachemaster's and theDarkSide's comments.  I had time to sleep on it, and without all of the emotion, I do realize the immense amount of good that the staff do for homebrewing.

I am still disappointed that the reply thus far has been lackluster.  It's as if the BA/AHA staff's hands are tied, but they aren't.  It does absolutely reflect poorly on the brand.  The larger issue is that as homebrewing grows in popularity, these issues become more apparent.  At some point (preferrably sooner) these issues will have to be addressed.

Offline houstonvol

• 1st Kit
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 10:39:28 am »
Fair enough.  I think yesterday had more to do with being pissed off than actually mad at the AHA.  I still think the system needs to be fixed, and maybe they'll open up a forum for actual ideas on how to streamline the process of getting member tickets for the GABF as a member benefit.

I wasn't trying to bash the AHA into submission, but when something is broken it needs to be fixed.  It's that was with any organization, for-profit or not-for-profit.  And this obviously needs to be fixed.  And say what you want about it not being purely for business, but bringing in more business gives the AHA a chance to grow for the better, and things like this that cause people to walk away is bad for the AHA.  Period.