Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2013 Entry Problems - Possible Solutions?  (Read 74440 times)

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
Re: NHC 2013 Entry Problems - Possible Solutions?
« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

C)  You're not likely to get judges to volunteer for a competition that they were unable to enter.  And usually judges are the better brewers, this is true in our area at least.  So allow early NHC registration for the judges from the previous year.  This will do several things.  1. Motivate the judges to judge at a Round 1 site  2. Motivate non-judges to become judges.  3. Motivate organizer/judges to volunteer to host a Round 1 site.  This will increase the Round 1 judge pool and allow you to have an even bigger competition open to everyone.

YES!  I like this idea.  It would be hard to start but would roll nicely by the second year.  So the number of judges is a problem.  Its actually the number of GOOD judges that is a problem.  If judges got a priority into entering the competition, it may encourage a non-judge (who might make a great judge) to become a judge.  What motivation is there to becoming a judge?  I did it so that I'd understand the brewing process better and could improve the quality of my homebrew.

Fred Bonjour was on the brewing network last week and shot this idea down because the governing committee wants EVERYONE to have a fair chance.  I don't agree with that because it's unrealistic.  If there is a lack of help or judges now, then encourage AHA memebers to help/judge so that the competition can continue to grow with the AHA membership.

I really think that this is the easiest fix for a short term goal. 

on the other hand, I did sit in front of my computer at work a whole hour before the entry window was up.  I sat there reloading the page over and over for a few hours until I got my 15 entries into this years competition.  I will not do this again next year and I am sure there are more people with the same intention.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:48 am »

If NHC is that important to you AND its entry window conflicted YOUR work schedule, then maybe you should have taken the day off from work!  I did because it was important to me.
on the other hand, I did sit in front of my computer at work a whole hour before the entry window was up.  I sat there reloading the page over and over for a few hours until I got my 15 entries into this years competition.  I will not do this again next year and I am sure there are more people with the same intention.

Which is it??? ::) ::) ::)

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #227 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:06 pm »

If NHC is that important to you AND its entry window conflicted YOUR work schedule, then maybe you should have taken the day off from work!  I did because it was important to me.

Which is it??? ::) ::) ::)

damn you!  busted.   :-[
I did it at work because my job is that layed back.  I know some people who did take the day off to enter though.   I told my boss that I was not going to be doing any work after lunch and that my priority was entering my beers.  he was ok with it.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2013, 10:23:41 am »
Another complaint. Why are we limited to 50 characters for the description on the specialty categories? That is not enough. It needs to be 100. In same competitions I have seen as much as 1/2 page of description.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2013, 10:32:58 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2013, 10:01:52 am »
^^^
LMAO!

I'm totally stealing this photo.  It is so appropriate for other forums as well.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:44 am »
We head in to Philadelphia next week for the National Homebrewers Conference. Before the start of the conference we have the annual AHA Governing Committee meeting--the one in-person meeting for the committee (the GC holds monthly conference calls, plus additional subcommittee conference calls, and daily exchanges via email).  The National Homebrew Competition will be a major topic of discussion for the group.

I'd like to thank the many AHA members who have posted some very thoughtful ideas on how to handle the NHC's growth in this thread.  The AHA GC Competition Subcommittee has contemplated many of the ideas posted here.

I'd also like to take a moment to thank Geoff Humphrey, the developer of the BrewingCompetition.com competition registration and database system we used for this year's competition. While I dropped the ball in not insisting upon a more thorough testing regime, Geoff has stuck with the AHA staff throughout and put in many hours on fixes and improvements to the software.  Thank you Geoff!
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2013, 09:58:16 am »
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the AHA GC Competition Subcommittee has put together a survey to gather AHA members' feedback on their priorities for the National Homebrew Competition, which will help in deciding what steps we will take for future competitions.  Look for that to be sent via email shortly after next week's National Homebrewers Conference.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline tmsnyder

• Cellarman
« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2013, 12:24:25 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing some improvement in the NHC, as it stands I wouldn't consider it an accurate measure of the best homebrewers in the country.  It's only a competition between those lucky enough to get in before the spots all fill up. 

This was confirmed Thursday morning when I judged German Wheats and Ryes and was seriously underwhelmed by the beers.  A few were in the upper 30's, NONE in the 40s.  One I wanted to give a 19, it was flawed, but for the purposes of the NHC there's no point in that so I managed to get it up to 20 or 21. 

I would expect that if the competition were actually representing the best beers from everyone that wanted to enter it, that the beers would all be upper 30's, with some in the 40's and maybe even a 50 occasionally. 

This is, in fact, what I observe when judging the NYS Homebrewer of the Year, which is judged as a BOS competition and is entered, for free, by invitation only, based on wins at the regional competitions around the state. For each of every 5 wins during the year, and the brewer is invited to send one beer to represent him or herself.  The beers sent in are almost 100% excellent and picking the best example of style is a long, hard process.  I'm not saying that the NHC should be an invitational, although that is an option, I'm just saying that IF the NHC were an open competition, there would be better beer at the table when you get it down to what are supposed to be the 33 best examples of the style from around the country.

Hopefully Janis and Fred and all those guys can figure it out, I know it's not an easy situation to be in.  But for the level of work that goes into running the competition, it ought to be open to everyone that wants to enter.  If not, what's the point? 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the AHA GC Competition Subcommittee has put together a survey to gather AHA members' feedback on their priorities for the National Homebrew Competition, which will help in deciding what steps we will take for future competitions.  Look for that to be sent via email shortly after next week's National Homebrewers Conference.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2013, 11:51:32 pm »
I would expect that if the competition were actually representing the best beers from everyone that wanted to enter it, that the beers would all be upper 30's, with some in the 40's and maybe even a 50 occasionally. 

I'll just say that in all my years of judging the second round of the NHC, this has never happened to me. I usually end up with at least one beer in the teens, a few in the 20's, most hovering around 30-34 and 1-2 above that.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2013, 05:12:30 am »

I'll just say that in all my years of judging the second round of the NHC, this has never happened to me. I usually end up with at least one beer in the teens, a few in the 20's, most hovering around 30-34 and 1-2 above that.

This year I had one or two in the upper 20's and two in the lower 40's.  All the rest were somewhere in the mid to upper 30's.  We didn't have any bad ones of the twelve (of 33) our panel judged.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tmsnyder

• Cellarman
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:06 am »
Hi Gary,

Where do we go to see the minutes of the Governing Committee meeting?  Is it available to the membership?

Todd

We head in to Philadelphia next week for the National Homebrewers Conference. Before the start of the conference we have the annual AHA Governing Committee meeting--the one in-person meeting for the committee (the GC holds monthly conference calls, plus additional subcommittee conference calls, and daily exchanges via email).  The National Homebrew Competition will be a major topic of discussion for the group.

I'd like to thank the many AHA members who have posted some very thoughtful ideas on how to handle the NHC's growth in this thread.  The AHA GC Competition Subcommittee has contemplated many of the ideas posted here.

I'd also like to take a moment to thank Geoff Humphrey, the developer of the BrewingCompetition.com competition registration and database system we used for this year's competition. While I dropped the ball in not insisting upon a more thorough testing regime, Geoff has stuck with the AHA staff throughout and put in many hours on fixes and improvements to the software.  Thank you Geoff!

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #237 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »
Where do we go to see the minutes of the Governing Committee meeting?  Is it available to the membership?

That hasn't happened in the past, but I know that GC chair Jake Keeler is interested in putting together a GC report for the membership that we'd probably post to a members-only page on HomebrewersAssociation.org.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #238 on: July 04, 2013, 07:24:47 am »

That hasn't happened in the past, but I know that GC chair Jake Keeler is interested in putting together a GC report for the membership that we'd probably post to a members-only page on HomebrewersAssociation.org.

I think this is a good idea.  Can we count on it?
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:10 am »
I think this is a good idea.  Can we count on it?

I hope so.  I'll see if I can get comments from Jake.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell