Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Credit Policies...  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Credit Policies...
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:14:10 pm »
For those who are self-distributing to on- and off-sale retail accounts, what sort of credit terms are you offering?  Do you even offer credit terms?  For a new brewery, it would seem that cash would be the most sensible option, but are retailers willing to do COD for your kegs/cases?

In Minnesota, we aren't permitted to extend credit beyond 30 days to any retailer.  But just because you can doesn't mean you should.  I mean, cash is always better, right?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:29:24 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Credit Policies...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »
It's really only big stores or chains that want to age their AP. If you're dealing with a mom and pop place, they'll likely pay COD. Especially if you offer 1/10 or 2/10 net 30, small businesses will jump all over that.

Also, some states restrict the kind/amount of discounts you can give, so make sure you even can.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:44:31 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
A lot of the time this is regulated by state you are licensed in.
In WI invoice should be paid in 15 days from delivery.
A lot of small business will pay you on delivery.
Bigger Grocery/Liquor stores might take some time to pay.

I do "Pay on delivery" and it is been working for me.
So I do not think you need to do credit incentives.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:12:31 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I'm pretty sure that we will try to get COD to the greatest extent possible, especially when we're just starting out.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:38 pm »
We have a few small suppliers who we pay COD, but only because they demand it.

If you give people net 30 but no discount, don't expect people to pay COD. Some might, but we never do. Everyone who gives us credit we take it, unless they give a discount for faster payment. Our bigger suppliers give us either net 30 or net 90.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:55:37 pm »
In Washington, COD is mandated by law.  The LCB guy we spoke with even "suggested" not taking a check.  (Although I do)

The reason he suggested that, is that if a check is returned NSF, we have 24 hours to notify the LCB.  And they then give the retailer 24 hours to make it right, or lose their license. 

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:29:16 am »
In Washington, COD is mandated by law.  The LCB guy we spoke with even "suggested" not taking a check.  (Although I do)

The reason he suggested that, is that if a check is returned NSF, we have 24 hours to notify the LCB.  And they then give the retailer 24 hours to make it right, or lose their license.

So can you use the "Square" program to accept a retailer's credit/debit card, or is this even more risky?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:18 am »
So can you use the "Square" program to accept a retailer's credit/debit card, or is this even more risky?

2.75% per swipe sucks. You'll be fighting thin margins to begin with, don't throw away almost 3% of your margin.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:42 am »

Doesn't that sound like a good reason to accept checks? Usually you must fight those on your own.

And 3% to a credit card processor isn't great - but neither is spending time getting customers to pay their bills. With a credit card you often have the money immediately.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:29:35 am »

Doesn't that sound like a good reason to accept checks? Usually you must fight those on your own.

And 3% to a credit card processor isn't great - but neither is spending time getting customers to pay their bills. With a credit card you often have the money immediately.

I hear ya on the checks, but I'm really just a homebrewer who can legally sell beer.  I have but two accounts.  And the working relationship with these guys would be harmed if I had to "call the state" on them.  I take their checks without any problem.  And I do have the Square, for some small retail kegs we sell.  But, I charge more at retail, so it makes up for the 2.75%.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:37:36 am »
That is definately a unique situation. I'm sure collecting from customers like that is easier too (and there's only two of them).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:57:14 am »

2.75% per swipe sucks. You'll be fighting thin margins to begin with, don't throw away almost 3% of your margin.

We do the flat fee of $275 with Square. I obviously can't share exactly what that works out to percentage wise, but it is well below 2.75% in our case.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:03:45 am by anthony »

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »

You could just offer a "2.75% discount" when paid in cash.

(i.e. just mark up 2.75% otherwise)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:45 pm »

You could just offer a "2.75% discount" when paid in cash.

(i.e. just mark up 2.75% otherwise)

Maybe, if your state allows that. Some states restrict the type/amount of discounts you can give as a wholesaler.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:21:06 pm »
To my experience the Most of the businesses will pay with check or cash.
If their Check bounces you just do not do Business with them. If you are self distributing it is a long term relationships you are after anyway.

It is less likely that you are going to have none paying customer in so regulated industry.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com