Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemon flavors in coffee stout  (Read 1723 times)

Offline roll0164

• 1st Kit
Lemon flavors in coffee stout
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »
So I just brewed my first stout and I decided to make it a coffee flavored. I googled a couple of recipes and I think I ended up going with one from the AHA forum.  I cold brewed the coffee (Alterra Cafe Voltaire) for 24 hours to decrease bitterness and the finished wort smelled fantastic. I just racked over to the secondary after 6 days, and I couldn't resist grabbing a glass to taste. I chilled it for about 15 min in the fridge and then sat down with it. It tastes great and the flavor of the coffee really shines but I'm also getting some noticeable citrus: lemon and tangy. Used 1056 for the yeast, Fuggle for the hops. Any clue where that citrus came from? Was it the yeast, hops, or something I did?
Chris

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
Re: Lemon flavors in coffee stout
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »
You could definitely be getting citrus flavors from the hops, but I wouldn't judge anything yet.  It still has a lot of changing to do.  I always taste by brews when racking over.  Some tasted good and turned out terrible and vice versa.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Lemon flavors in coffee stout
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »
Definitely wait until its been bottle conditioning for a four weeks (assuming you don't keg).  One of the easiest ways I have improved my beer is by not opening a bottle before four weeks.
Brian
mobrewer