Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steeping vs.Mini Mash  (Read 6575 times)

Offline dbagnall

• 1st Kit
Steeping vs.Mini Mash
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:08:22 am »
I am new to brewing (I have produced three batches, all using liquid extract and steeping grains, and I am doing full boils now). I am researching brewing methods using more grain. I don't feel I can afford to purchase the all-grain equipment right now but I have noticed there is a technique called mini-mash brewing. In terms of results (efficiency, taste, quality of beer ect) is Mini-mash all that different than steeping? Is it worth experimenting with mini-mash when I am already steeping and will probably get into all grain system by the end of the year?

Thank you for your advise and opinions!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Steeping vs.Mini Mash
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:35:59 am »
I am new to brewing (I have produced three batches, all using liquid extract and steeping grains, and I am doing full boils now). I am researching brewing methods using more grain. I don't feel I can afford to purchase the all-grain equipment right now but I have noticed there is a technique called mini-mash brewing. In terms of results (efficiency, taste, quality of beer ect) is Mini-mash all that different than steeping? Is it worth experimenting with mini-mash when I am already steeping and will probably get into all grain system by the end of the year?

Thank you for your advise and opinions!

The advantage of mini-mash (aka partial mash) over steeping is that you're actually doing a true mash that converts starches to sugars.  Because of that, you can partial mash grains that you wouldn't be able to with just steeping.  Plus, it's a warm up to full all grain brewing.
Joe

Offline dbagnall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:42:22 pm »
So does steeping only add color but not fermentable sugars?

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:49:12 pm »

Steeping specialty grain does add some fermentable sugar.  See the chart in Chapter 12, Section 4 of John Palmer's How to Brew/

http://www.howtobrew.com

EDIT:  Chapter 12.4, in Section 2.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:53:30 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »
You can always use some base grain in the steep, but keep to the established water ratios and you're really just doing a mini-mash.

I have a 2 gallon mash tun that is real tricky to use unless it is just a mini-mash- which I'll either no-sparge or batch. I'd rather just use a bag and a pot of water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Steeping vs.Mini Mash
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
For going all grain on the cheap, take a look at www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
For going all grain on the cheap, take a look at www.dennybrew.com

It's also easy and efficient.  I used the method outlined in Palmer's book for my first 11 all-grain batches.  Last weekend I followed the procedure on dennybrew.com and my efficiency increased from 70% to over 81% with less effort.

To get back to the OP, when I went all-grain I went from extract with specialty grains right to all-grain.  A friend picked up a 10G Igloo cooler for $1 at a flea market and I spent about $5-10 at the hardware store on a plastic ball valve and other supplies to make a mash tun.  If you already have the ability to mini-mash (an extra bucket and a paint straining bag) then go for it.  Otherwise, I'd just go all grain.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:28:45 pm »
If your kettle will support full-volume boils, then you might as well give BIAB a try. The only equipment investment is the bag, and you can then produce All-Grain batches even more easily than mini-mashes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:02:45 am »
You really should only steep certain grains that have had their starches converted to sugars in processing, which includes crystal malts and roasted malts. Mini-mash will let you use any grain so you'd have far more grains to experiment with.  As noted, you can also to a partial or full mash with minimal investement in equipment.  Money spent on expensive equipment does not buy better beer.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:50 am »
You can always use some base grain in the steep, but keep to the established water ratios and you're really just doing a mini-mash.

I have a 2 gallon mash tun that is real tricky to use unless it is just a mini-mash- which I'll either no-sparge or batch. I'd rather just use a bag and a pot of water.

I too have a 2-gal mash tun (in addition to my 5-gal for AG) and last night, doing an extract batch for the first time in several years and not wishing to fiddle with the little MLT, I went #nopants on my grain-steeping. I warmed the water to 160 in a large saucepan, poured in the steeping grains, put a lid on the pan, set it on two potholders on a kitchen work table, and covered it with an inverted Trader Joe's insulated grocery bag. The temp held fine. I strained and sparged through a large kitchen strainer lined with a 1-gallon paint strainer bag. I have a super-duper-large strainer and 5-gal paint strainer bags that I could have used if I had a couple pounds of grain.

To get back to the OP's main point, I spent a while doing mini-mashes and I agree, try going to all-grain. Remember, you don't have to make 5-gallon (or larger!) batches and you definitely don't have to spend loads of money. I see a lot of people doing 3-gal BIAB. As erockrph says, all you need is a bag. I personally would rather deal with my 5-gal cooler than a wet, heavy bag, but it's a very cheap entry point.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member