General Category > All Grain Brewing

Water Chemistry

<< < (2/6) > >>

HoosierBrew:
Very helpful info.  Thanks Martin and Ron.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: mabrungard on March 01, 2013, 10:47:18 AM ---I enjoy a bit more sulfate and typically target about 300 ppm.  I recently tested a version of my standard SNPA clone with a reduced sulfate water to evaluate recommendations that AJ deLange recommends.  I used the Pale Ale profile excepting that the gypsum addition was backed off until a 100 ppm sulfate level was produced.  That beer is very good, however it lacks the dryness in the finish.  Clearly, the sulfate is the component needed to assist in that dryness perception.  I prefer 300 ppm sulfate over 100 ppm.

--- End quote ---

Interesting info. Martin.

I would like to do a blind tasting of the same beer recipe (APA/IPA) only varying the sulfate ratio to discern the flavor difference. I'm certainly not doubting your experience, but would like to better understand this flavor (dryness in the finish) difference from this variance in the sufate level. I like my APA/IPA's on the dry side. :)

davidgzach:
This thread reminded me about last week.  I've been playing with AIPA's lately and brewing to 300ppm Sulfate.  I always refer back to Desiging Great Beers for some additional info and upon reading back up on Bitters noticed the Sulfate content for Burton.  It's 801!!!

That is recommended for English IPA's and using 'Burtonized' water which is not what the OP started, but thought it would add some color commentary to the conversation.  It kind of blew me away as I've not seen a discussion with Sulfate even close to 800 for an IPA.

Dave

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on March 01, 2013, 11:14:27 AM ---This thread reminded me about last week.  I've been playing with AIPA's lately and brewing to 300ppm Sulfate.  I always refer back to Desiging Great Beers for some additional info and upon reading back up on Bitters noticed the Sulfate content for Burton.  It's 801!!!

That is recommended for English IPA's and using 'Burtonized' water which is not what the OP started, but thought it would add some color commentary to the conversation.  It kind of blew me away as I've not seen a discussion with Sulfate even close to 800 for an IPA.

Dave

--- End quote ---
remember that Buton waters can have a sulfate level of 200 to 800+ depending on the location of the well.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on March 01, 2013, 11:19:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: davidgzach on March 01, 2013, 11:14:27 AM ---This thread reminded me about last week.  I've been playing with AIPA's lately and brewing to 300ppm Sulfate.  I always refer back to Desiging Great Beers for some additional info and upon reading back up on Bitters noticed the Sulfate content for Burton.  It's 801!!!

Dave

--- End quote ---
remember that Buton waters can have a sulfate level of 200 to 800+ depending on the location of the well.

--- End quote ---

Jeff, You need to tell Ray that as page 173, table 16.21 has Sulfate for Burton at 801........I'm just quoting! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version