Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a palate  (Read 1952 times)

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
I need a palate
« on: March 01, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »
My palate needs prepping before I can taste any subtle flavors in beer. I'm not a BJCP judge so I'm not trained in beer flavors and off-flavors, etc.

I know what good beer tastes like, but only when I prep my palate with a wide range of tastes (or beers), is when I can really taste the subtle nuances of beer.

I've been brewing since 2005 and I just started doing all-grain a few months ago and now I'm absolutely obsessed. I just submitted a beer in the NHC for the first time. This will be my very first beer competition. I think I make really good beer for a brand new all-grain brewer. I don't have a lot of control over my fermentation process. I still don't have a good aerator, I don't have a stir plate, I don't have a good way of controlling temperature (YET), but I still make pretty good beer.

Even typing that makes me think that's far-fetched. So, I need a palate. I need somebody to judge my beers and tell me what is wrong with it. I want to become a better brewer. I want to become the best brewer.

Please help a homebrewer out!

In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA

Offline paul

• Cellarman
Re: I need a palate
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:46:42 pm »
I'm not entirely sure what your question is...is it about getting better at brewing, at judging your own beers, or judging beers in general?  I suppose they're all related.

It can be very helpful to join your local homebrew club.  You'll find people there who are more than happy to drink and judge your beer.  Some of them even know what they're talking about  ::)

I've also learned a lot judging beers with more knowledgable judges. If I think I'm tasting something, but can't quite place the flavor, they can often put words to what I'm tasting.  When I was "studying" for the BJCP exam, four to six of us would meet every few weeks, focus on a beer style, and bring several examples of that style to try and discuss. I learned quite a bit that way.

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:34 pm »
I don't know if I had a question. I'm just saying I don't believe in my own taste. So, I would like to find some 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th opinions...
In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »
My palate needs prepping before I can taste any subtle flavors in beer. I'm not a BJCP judge so I'm not trained in beer flavors and off-flavors, etc.

I know what good beer tastes like, but only when I prep my palate with a wide range of tastes (or beers), is when I can really taste the subtle nuances of beer.

I've been brewing since 2005 and I just started doing all-grain a few months ago and now I'm absolutely obsessed. I just submitted a beer in the NHC for the first time. This will be my very first beer competition. I think I make really good beer for a brand new all-grain brewer. I don't have a lot of control over my fermentation process. I still don't have a good aerator, I don't have a stir plate, I don't have a good way of controlling temperature (YET), but I still make pretty good beer.

Even typing that makes me think that's far-fetched. So, I need a palate. I need somebody to judge my beers and tell me what is wrong with it. I want to become a better brewer. I want to become the best brewer.

Please help a homebrewer out!

You and me both.  I've been procrastinating on getting a thermostat for a 5cf deep freeze and need to get my mash temps under control as well.  I believe I can signifantly improve the quality and consitency of my beer by improviing my mash temps and fermentation temps.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:47:56 am »
You can start by looking at the scheduled exams list on the BJCP web site, (http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php) and find an exam close by to you. If you contact the administrator far enough in advance, you might get one of the slots.  He also can help you to find a prep class in your area, or at least hook you up with a few others who can help you form a study group.  Even if you don't get on the primary list for the exam, you can still benefit by getting the training.

HTH-
Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:19 am »
Got a homebrew club nearby?  Check it out.
Brew on