General Category > Homebrew Clubs

Homebrew Club Running a Nano-Brewery

<< < (5/5)

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: granitebaybrewer on March 05, 2013, 09:21:58 PM ---Code 23356.2 states:

No license or permit shall be required for the brewing
of beer for personal or family use, and not for sale, by a person over the age of 21
years. The aggregate amount of beer with respect to any household shall not exceed
(a) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults in such household,
or (b) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult in such household.
Any beer brewed pursuant to this section may be removed from the premises where
brewed for use in competition at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, including
homemakers’ contests, tastings, or judgings.

Maybe the best solution would be talk to festival organizers and have them add "Homebrew Competition" to the beer fest title.  Then people attending could vote for their favorite homebrewed beer.  Wouldn't this make it a "Competition at an organized affair"?

--- End quote ---
Honestly, that's about as good as it gets. I think the goal going forward would be to educate about what the law actually says.

corkybstewart:

--- Quote from: denny on March 06, 2013, 09:54:22 AM ---In our case, Rogue bought a 30 gal. MoreBeer sculpture (top of the line) and put it in the basement of their local brewpub.  They also bout a temp controlled conical for the system.  Our people would go in and brew using ingredients supplied by Rogue.  Generally, they were pretty good about getting ingredients that were needed, but sometimes we just had to wing it.  The finished beer was owned and sold by Rogue.  Even the club member who brewed it had to purchase it...no free beer for the club.  They were supposed to have a tap handle available for us all the time, but often their own beer would fill that while ours sat until there was space.  They did no identification kf the beer as being brewed by the club.  Basically, we were just providing free labor.  We recently decided to end our brewing on the system because we just couldn't identify the value to the club.

--- End quote ---
Those guys at Rogue are pretty damn smart.  If the beer was good they sell it, if not dump it and wait for another group of brewery slaves to make another batch.

denny:

--- Quote from: corkybstewart on March 06, 2013, 01:30:25 PM ---Those guys at Rogue are pretty damn smart.  If the beer was good they sell it, if not dump it and wait for another group of brewery slaves to make another batch.

--- End quote ---

It was all good and I don't think any got dumped.  Beyond that, I have a lot of friends at Rogue, so I'll restrain myself...

phunhog:

--- Quote from: denny on March 06, 2013, 09:54:22 AM ---In our case, Rogue bought a 30 gal. MoreBeer sculpture (top of the line) and put it in the basement of their local brewpub.  They also bout a temp controlled conical for the system.  Our people would go in and brew using ingredients supplied by Rogue.  Generally, they were pretty good about getting ingredients that were needed, but sometimes we just had to wing it.  The finished beer was owned and sold by Rogue.  Even the club member who brewed it had to purchase it...no free beer for the club.  They were supposed to have a tap handle available for us all the time, but often their own beer would fill that while ours sat until there was space.  They did no identification kf the beer as being brewed by the club.  Basically, we were just providing free labor.  We recently decided to end our brewing on the system because we just couldn't identify the value to the club.

--- End quote ---
I am hoping we can convince the brewery where our club meets to do something like this!! I think it would because they are not only a brewery but also a homebrew shop.  It seems like it would be a win/win for the brewery. They get to put a "special" beer on tap for a day or two and get more people into the hobby. 

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: phunhog on March 07, 2013, 02:38:18 PM ---I am hoping we can convince the brewery where our club meets to do something like this!! I think it would because they are not only a brewery but also a homebrew shop.  It seems like it would be a win/win for the brewery. They get to put a "special" beer on tap for a day or two and get more people into the hobby.

--- End quote ---
Well that could work well since promoting homebrewing is in the financial interest of the brewery/shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version