Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA  (Read 1945 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »
I don't remember this seasonal last year, so I'm guessin that it is new this year? Anyways, it is a great change of pace DIPA. It pours a nice amber color and has the nice amber malt taste and smoothness. The blend of nugget and mosaic hops gives it the nice change of pace. I feel that the aroma is very orangy, but the bitterness and taste if very earthy. It's not piny or fruity....kinda a smooth earthyness. The 9.4% ABV is very well disguised. I won't say that it is my favorite DIPA, but it is certainly a great change of pace. This DIPA might appeal to people who aren't fans of the traditional smack you in the face DIPA's that are out there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:50:30 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:42 pm »
I don't remember this seasonal last year, so I'm guessin that it is new this year? Anyways, it is a great change of pace DIPA. It pours a nice amber color and has the nice amber malt taste and smoothness. The blend of nugget and mosaic hops gives it the nice change of pace. I feel that the aroma is very orangy, but the bitterness and taste if very earthy. It's not piny or fruity....kinda a smooth earthyness. The 9.4% ABV is very well disguised. I won't say that it is my favorite DIPA, but it is certainly a great change of pace. This DIPA might appeal to people who aren't fans of the traditional smack you in the face DIPA's that are out there.

Sounds like my kinda beer but I doubt  that I can get it...bummer
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:55 pm »
I tried Alchemy for the first time last Friday and I really liked it.  They use Mosaic hops and it has a wonderful tropical fruit flavor and aroma.  I think I like Mosaic better than Citra now.  A guy from my club didn't like it and said it was just too much and couldn't finish the sample.  I just like a different flavor from IPA's every once in awhile instead of the same "C" hops.
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
I tried Alchemy for the first time last Friday and I really liked it.  They use Mosaic hops and it has a wonderful tropical fruit flavor and aroma.  I think I like Mosaic better than Citra now.  A guy from my club didn't like it and said it was just too much and couldn't finish the sample.  I just like a different flavor from IPA's every once in awhile instead of the same "C" hops.

A buddy I work with said that he wasn't a fan. He said it tasted peppery to him. I can see it in the earthiness that I get, but I didn't get a strong spice flavor. I did think the aroma and taste were way different. Like I said, very tropical/citrousy (I get strong orange) aroma, and a very earthy taste.
Frank

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »
I got a strong orange aroma also, but a different orange aroma than like Amarillo.  I also could taste the orange flavor along with the other tropical flavors. 
Dan Chisholm