General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

is there an easier way?

(1/4) > >>

skrag6713:
so i'm an extract/partial mash and partial boil brewer with several batches under my belt.  i just about have my process dialed in with all of my new gadgets, primary among them being my immersion chiller.  i've also been reading about how extract brewers should put half of their extract in at the beginning of the boil, and the other half in the last 15mins or so to avoid a lot of kettle carmelization.

all that being said, does it become a problem to interrupt the boil?  by the time i drop in my IC and add another 3ish pounds of extract, my wort temp has dropped 15-20 degrees.  should i return it to boiling before i continue my hop timers?  or just continue on business as usual?

sparkleberry:
i just sanitize my immersion chiller in my bucket of star san and then add it to the kettle after the boil is finished. this may help you.

also i added last extract all the time and just left the boil going but made sure to have a stirring device in the kettle and stir as i added. i never seemed to have a problem when i did extract brews.

cheers.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: skrag6713 on March 03, 2013, 09:36:28 AM ---all that being said, does it become a problem to interrupt the boil?  by the time i drop in my IC and add another 3ish pounds of extract, my wort temp has dropped 15-20 degrees.  should i return it to boiling before i continue my hop timers?  or just continue on business as usual?

--- End quote ---

If it drops the temp enough to cause a significant delay before you get back to a boil, the I'd wait until you get back to a boil before restarting the timer on your hop additions.

skrag6713:
so my last batch went something like this: steep specialty grains; rinse; and half of the extract; begin boiling; add 1st hop addition; after 45mins remove kettle from heat; remove hop sack from kettle; add remainder of extract, irish moss, and IC; return kettle to heat; once boil has resumed, return hop sack to kettle and add remaining hop additions as appropriate.

sound about right?

Jeff M:
Wont only adding half of the extract at the beginning of of your boil throw your hop bitterness off drastically? i was under the impression that extract brewing required something like 3* the hops because of sugar concentration during the boil.  Do you adjust for this or does it just work itself out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version