General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

is there an easier way?

<< < (2/4) > >>

skrag6713:
i've never noticed any problems with bitterness calculations.  my hop additions have always been pretty much right on the money.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 03, 2013, 04:21:38 PM ---Wont only adding half of the extract at the beginning of of your boil throw your hop bitterness off drastically? i was under the impression that extract brewing required something like 3* the hops because of sugar concentration during the boil.  Do you adjust for this or does it just work itself out?

--- End quote ---

Yes, theoretically you'll get slightly better hop utilization with the less concentrated wort.  But it's probably not enough of a difference that you need to re-calculate.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 03, 2013, 04:21:38 PM ---Wont only adding half of the extract at the beginning of of your boil throw your hop bitterness off drastically? i was under the impression that extract brewing required something like 3* the hops because of sugar concentration during the boil.  Do you adjust for this or does it just work itself out?

--- End quote ---
That's the point of putting in half the extract later -- lower the sugar concentration during the boil to "normal" levels so that hop utilization occurs at the same rate as it would with a full volume boil.

alcaponejunior:

--- Quote from: skrag6713 on March 03, 2013, 09:36:28 AM ---so i'm an extract/partial mash and partial boil brewer with several batches under my belt.  i just about have my process dialed in with all of my new gadgets, primary among them being my immersion chiller.  i've also been reading about how extract brewers should put half of their extract in at the beginning of the boil, and the other half in the last 15mins or so to avoid a lot of kettle carmelization.

all that being said, does it become a problem to interrupt the boil?  by the time i drop in my IC and add another 3ish pounds of extract, my wort temp has dropped 15-20 degrees.  should i return it to boiling before i continue my hop timers?  or just continue on business as usual?

--- End quote ---

It don''t matter that much hoss. ;D

just make sure no extract gets boiled less than ten minutes.  Get a little of the extract in at the beginnig, but otherwise wait for the rest. 

Try to boil as much as you can or all of the wort if possible.  That's as big a deal or bigger than whether all of your extract gets boiled sixty minutes. 

Extract beers can come out damn excellent.  Full boil and fermentation temperatures probably being the biggest factors.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: alcaponejunior on March 10, 2013, 04:10:43 PM ---Try to boil as much as you can or all of the wort if possible.  That's as big a deal or bigger than whether all of your extract gets boiled sixty minutes.
--- End quote ---

I'd disagree to some extent. There's nothing inherently wrong with a concentrated boil - that's how the lightest, cleanest-tasting beers in the world are brewed. I think the key is to keep the kettle gravity within the normal beer range. If you're boiling at 50°P or something, it's reasonable to expect that the result won't be very beer-like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version