Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl  (Read 3202 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Diacetyl
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:08 pm »
I haven't made too many lagers, but this winter I'm trying to make some German Lagers in my basement (Norman Bates room) that is a steady 48.  My last two have had diacetyl.  My first was a Dunkel with WY 2206 that I added some US 05 to and it turned out fine. My last one (Vienna Lager) with WY 2308 I even did a diacetyl rest for two days then back to cold for awile and I figured that should do it and I carbed it.  Next, I taste a sample and there is diacetyl in the aroma and flavor so I warm it up again. The buttery aroma and flavor are still there.  I really don't want to dump this before I've tried everything.  Does diacetyl vanish over time or should I add more yeast?  Also, I have a Doppelbock fermenting on the 2308 slurry and I want to avoid the "butter".  Suggestions please.
Dan Chisholm

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Diacetyl
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
Lager them at 32-36F and forget about them for a few months....

How much yeast did you pitch?  Sounds like you are underpitching your lagers.

If the Dopplebock in on the entire 2308 slurry, you should be good on that one.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:29 am »
Should lagering for 2-3 months clear up the diacetyl?  I used a 3/4 gal starter for the Vienna.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:34 am »
You need to warm things up, like into the 60s, for about 3 weeks, so that the yeast can eat it.  Yeast works better at warm temps than in the cold (of course).  If you still have diacetyl after 3-4 weeks, then it becomes permanent and there's not much else you can do except maybe to add a TON more actively fermenting yeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
Next time, pitch half a slurry of yeast from a comparable batch and leave it in the primary for a month - you will likely avoid any hint of diacetyl, as the yeast will clean it up.  If you racked right as terminal gravity was reached, the yeast did not have time to clear up the diacetyl.  For the current batch, I would warm it to the 60's or even a little warmer than that to get the yeast in action to clean up the butter.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have the Vienna at 62 right now and I'll leave it for 2-3 weeks.  I 'll leave the Doppelbock in primary for 4-6 weeks, then I'll give it a D-rest for a week and lager for 2 months.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have the Vienna at 62 right now and I'll leave it for 2-3 weeks.  I 'll leave the Doppelbock in primary for 4-6 weeks, then I'll give it a D-rest for a week and lager for 2 months.

had similar issues...recently discovered in this forum that i was pitching my starter at too high at 60F, and then dropping down to 50F, making it almost certain to produce diacetyl at levels much higher than others who pitch at 45-48F.

you didn't indicate what temp you pitch at, so just wanted to mention it.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:58 pm »
I pitched at 50.  The temp maybe got up to 52 during fermentation.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 05:33:45 pm »
Lagers need a shipload of yeast.  I use Mr. Malty's yeast calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

You could also add a fresh starter of lager yeast to the fermenter to remove the diacetyl if the other methods don't work.
Brew on

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:55:19 pm »
Update - I let it warm up for about a week and a half and it is noticably better.  I can smell a faint diacetly aroma, but not in the flavor at all.  It looks like this one will be OK after all - thanks for the suggestions.
Dan Chisholm