Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch Fermentation Schedule - WLP029  (Read 8985 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Kolsch Fermentation Schedule - WLP029
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:39 pm »
Okay, I know you can't put beer on a schedule, the yeast work on their own timetable, 'its done when its done', etc. etc. etc. 

That being said, the majority of my ales are done in 7-10 days.  I ferment the majority of my ales pitched in the low-mid 60's, and let them rise up to the mid-high 60's, in some cases (belgians and saisons) continue to raise up to the low-mid 70's to finish.  Now I have to say, on 90% of my beers, I am using Chico, Notty, or a Belgian yeast. 

So this is my first kolsch, Jamil's recipe (10.3# pils, 0.5 vienna, mashed at 149, 75 min, 15g magnum @ 60)

I chilled to and pitched at 58, let rise up to 60, and it is cranking away 36 hours later with a minimal lag. 

My question is, could I raise the temp up to 65 after 5-6 days, let it finish up at that temp, and if it is @ terminal gravity by day 13 or, stick it in the ferm chamber to lager?

I have two objectives:

1.)  free up my ferm/lagering fridge (I have a couple other beers I'd like to crash/cold condition)
2.)  Make an awesome kolsch

Hopefully the two aren't mutually exclusive.  I know with the majority of yeasts, the most critical time to control temp is the first 48-72 hours, though longer is preferred.  I have had great success in the past (for instance with a steam beer I made) pitching and conducting fermentation at 60/61, then raising up to ambient temp 65-68 after 5-6 days. 

Thanks in advance!
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Kolsch Fermentation Schedule - WLP029
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:37:09 pm »
Yeah, that's fine.  With that yeast it's a good idea to bump up the temp as the fermentation winds down to make sure that it finishes out.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:37:53 pm »
I like to lager my Kolsch on the yeast for several weeks, but two is fine after terminal gravity has been reached. Make sure it's done fermenting before lagering. WLP029 is my favorite and your recipe (Jamil's) looks like a winner.
Ron Price

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:17:42 pm »
Egggggsellent thanks all!  The weird thing is, in his podcast, jamil says that he uses some wheat in his kolsch.  Then in the BCS I have, his recipe is just 95% pils, 5% Vienna/Munich....must be a revision in a later addition.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »
Egggggsellent thanks all!  The weird thing is, in his podcast, jamil says that he uses some wheat in his kolsch.  Then in the BCS I have, his recipe is just 95% pils, 5% Vienna/Munich....must be a revision in a later addition.

Yes sir, you are correct. http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Kolsch.html That's the older one, but your recipe is solid, so no sweat.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article