Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: double IPA recipe help  (Read 4891 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: double IPA recipe help
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:56 am »
usually when i make a beer that big i only get about 55 % eff.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:56 am »
usually when i make a beer that big i only get about 55 % eff.
:o Gosh that's low! I may get a 5% drop but that's on 1.090 and up!

I recommend keeping a back of light DME available if you don't know what to anticipate as far as efficiency loss goes.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:10:18 pm »
It appears that I probably don't have the right hop types and amounts to do a good IIPA unless I did a smaller batch which is another option. I will probably scale it back to an IPA and use a hop schedule like something here:

Bravo - 60 min
Columbus - 20 min
equal amts of Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade - 10, 5, 0 min
Columbus - Dry hop

Maybe simplify the malt bill
75% two row
20% munich
5% honey/crystal

Yep, that sounds like a really good IPA. You were curious about using Bravo for flavor/aroma - why not swap that for the Columbus in your hop bill? Even if it's not an incredible IPA hop, you have the Amarillo/Cent/Cascade to help carry things. But almost any hop will work in an IPA as long as you use enough of it and have the right supporting cast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »
It appears that I probably don't have the right hop types and amounts to do a good IIPA unless I did a smaller batch which is another option. I will probably scale it back to an IPA and use a hop schedule like something here:

Bravo - 60 min
Columbus - 20 min
equal amts of Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade - 10, 5, 0 min
Columbus - Dry hop

Maybe simplify the malt bill
75% two row
20% munich
5% honey/crystal

Yep, that sounds like a really good IPA. You were curious about using Bravo for flavor/aroma - why not swap that for the Columbus in your hop bill? Even if it's not an incredible IPA hop, you have the Amarillo/Cent/Cascade to help carry things. But almost any hop will work in an IPA as long as you use enough of it and have the right supporting cast.

Thanks. I think I was a little out of my league trying to take on a IIPA with my current situation. Sorry to get defensive earlier. I have been brewing close to 5 years now and still get frustrated sometimes with builiding recipes.

Good point about the Bravo and I am not really sure what to do. It is a whopping 16.8% AA. I think I need to give it another smell and compare it to my Columbus then go from there. I think I have about 4 oz of each...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline mypenguin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »
Here is the DIPA that is supposed to resemble Hopslam that I bottled about 10 days ago.  I popped one open last night and really enjoyed it. I may drop the honey down a little and add more aromatic next time.  This was my first all grain beer (BIAB) coming from doing everything extract.  I first made the extract version and worked the all grain bill off of that.  Feel like I stumbled across a gem that was just randomly out there when searching on hopslam clones. 

This may give you another idea/building block to work off of.

All grain
12Lb 2-row
1Lb aromatic
3lbs of honey - flameout

Hop Schedule:

1 Simcoe 75
1 cascade 60
2 centennial 10
1 cascade 5
1 vanguard flameout
1 amarillo flameout
1 hallertau flameout