Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hopping  (Read 2415 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
dry hopping
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »
Hello! just want to know if you guys are using the same procedure as I. When the beer finish primary fermentation i pass it to the secondary vessel (corny) and chill the green beer to 40's ºF for about two weeks, then i filter the beer with a 1 micron poly filter in order to remove suspended yeast that could interfer with hops flavor. Then i transfer the beer to a third vessel (another corny) with whole hops at a temperature of 60's ºF for about one week to perform dry hopping. Finally i transfer the dry hopped beer to a fourth keg, chill againg, force carbonate y serve.

Is that to messy? Can i skip an intermediate step like filtering? what do you commonly do?

thanks!

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Re: dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:55:51 pm »
I just can't wait that long.  I have to keep things as simple as possible.  My ales spend three weeks in the primary.  Then transfered to keg with suspended dry hop bag.  It sits at room temp for a week and then into the kegerator and carbed.  I never have a problem with it.  Some of the wheat or rye ales take a little longer to clear.  So what!
AHA Member 900001775

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »
That's a lot of transferring.  I dry hop in primary after FG is reached, transfer to keg after ~3 weeks, condition until I want to tap, chill & force carb on tap and serve.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:42:43 pm »
That's a lot of transferring.  I dry hop in primary after FG is reached, transfer to keg after ~3 weeks, condition until I want to tap, chill & force carb on tap and serve.

Dave

+1
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
You can skip several steps. You have way to many things are touching your beer in my opinion. I transfer from primary to keg where it gets dry hopped. It is a bit hazy but that is not something I am worried about because I am mainly worried about good beer.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:39 pm »

Dave
+1 this is my proceedure.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:52 pm »
I agree with too many transfers and steps, I wait until FG and krausen drop, dry hop in the primary for 5-7-10 days depending, cold crash a day or two and bottle
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:07 pm »
Instead of worrying whether the yeast will strip some of the dry hop character, just use more dry hops! In For the Love of Hops, it is mentioned that yeast actually produce some of the desirable compounds we want from dry hopping. I just add my dry hops right into the primary at about day 7 (for a typical ale fermentation) and bottle at day 14. I try to shoot for 68F for my dry-hopping temp.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
ok..thanks for your comments :D