Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back in the saddle  (Read 2760 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
Back in the saddle
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:49 pm »
Hi guys!

I am ready to get back into brewing. Life has a way of side tracking things and I have not brewed in at least a year now, actually longer. Time to break out my brew equipment thats been stored away.

Not sure if anyone remembers any of my post but i brew in converted 15.5 g kegs. I actually have three converted kegs. 1 for hot water, 1 mash tun and boil kettle. I also built a keezer which I do have a thread on here somewhere and keg my brew in 5g corny kegs.

Previously I was brewing only mini mash kits, but im ready to start back up and shoot straight to all grain. My goal is to finally build my 3 tier brew stand and make my mash tun soon.

What is the best way to make 1 of my converted kegs in to a mash tun. I do plan on insulating the outside of it for temp control. I feel like a novice all over again. I know I can go out and buy another simple mini mash kit, but i just do not want to do that again.

Any advice on making a keg mash tun, 3 tier gravity stand and all grain will be much appreciated. Ready to get these feet wet, hell ready to jump in head first all over again. Breaking out my books for a refresher.

Ray    8)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Back in the saddle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:44:43 am »
Welcome back to the obsession!

Do some searches on the forum, there are lots of threads about brewing systems with tons of ideas.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:46 am »
Oh yea, the research has begun.

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:51 am »
Thinking for now.

I am only going to use 2 of my converted Kegs. One for my HLT and the other for my Boil kettle. I am going to go ahead and convert a kooler into a Mash tun for ease.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:57:58 am »
Thinking for now.

I am only going to use 2 of my converted Kegs. One for my HLT and the other for my Boil kettle. I am going to go ahead and convert a kooler into a Mash tun for ease.

This is what I would do.

Eventually, you can move up to some sort of HERMS or RIMS system, which IMO is one of the best ways to maintain temperature in a uninsulated pot. Cooler mash tuns work really well (If I don't remove the lid <2 degree drop over an hour).

Oh, but make sure it's blue  8)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:12 am »
Thinking for now.

This is what I would do.

Eventually, you can move up to some sort of HERMS or RIMS system, which IMO is one of the best ways to maintain temperature in a uninsulated pot. Cooler mash tuns work really well (If I don't remove the lid <2 degree drop over an hour).

Oh, but make sure it's blue  8)

Blue Cooler - Noted!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »
Theyve been heckling me that i bought a red one.... GET THE BLUE!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

red= -27% efficiency - malt you've already purchased begins to disappear on its own

blue= 134% efficiency - after 10 brews, a bag of malt magically appears in your garage
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:00 am »

red= -27% efficiency - malt you've already purchased begins to disappear on its own

blue= 134% efficiency - after 10 brews, a bag of malt magically appears in your garage

Good to know, Around here coolers come in a variety of colors. Blue, red, orange, white, green, yellow. Ive seen them all.

A blue one it will be for me. If a bag of grain magically appears one day I will be a happy brewer.