General Category > All Grain Brewing

Next Step-Water

<< < (2/8) > >>

mabrungard:
I'm more concerned with the alkalinity presented by this water.  At 100 ppm as CaCO3, it has the chance to adversely affect any of the lighter beers.  The remainder of the ions are in decent ranges as starting points.  Definitely no additional Mg is needed or should be added unless brewing a hoppy and bitter beer that could benefit from additional bittering effect.  Boosting Ca is typically helpful.  As Kai mentions, increasing the ionic strength of the water can have the effect of reducing the extraction of less desirable components like silicates and tannins from the malts. 

micsager:
Water is probably the place I need to go for next incremental improvements as well.  I've been kind of waiting the for the BA publications to finally release Palmer's book on water. 

Kristi - if you are out there somewhere, do you have a target date yet?

duboman:
Sorry for the late reply, life got in my way.... I appreciate the suggestions and as I put together my next few recipes I will take them and apply to see how things go!

duboman:
Hating to be a pest but I am not a chemist and I'm probably making this harder than it is.............

In playing with Kai's spread sheet and sticking to the basics tab I have entered my water report info as I have it.

In playing around with the additions as you all described I find that 8g of gypsum brings the calcium up to about 84ppm and sulfates to about 138. Anything more than the 8g puts me over the recommended amounts.

This addition also shows that my alkalinity will drop about 21.1ppm and the mash PH is estimated at 5.4 and this is all listed in the resulting water profile section.

The beer in question is one of my favorite Pales that I am trying to improve with more hop presence and crispness so does this look about right as a starting point without going over board?

Appreciate the input and patience, feeling like a noob again :(

denny:
Looks good to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version