General Category > Hop Growing

Hop trellis options and a few other questions

(1/6) > >>

j.petykowski:
So this Spring is coming up quite quickly, and I have been rummaging the internet for places to order plants or rhizomes for a hop trellis, which is in the drawing stage as of now. I only plan on growing four types of hops, probably all around American; Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Willamette. I have my reasons.. Well, anyway, I would like to know:

1. Where is a good website to purchase hops? (I purchased a Centennial plant from High Hops in Colorado last year, which grew beautifully by the way) which brings me to number 2..
2. Plant or rhizome? What have you had best luck with?
3. My yard sees plenty of sun, and living in suburban Chicago that's pretty lucky. Would it be best to do 8 feet up coir yarn, and then 8 feet horizontal with coir yarn to my garage, or just straight up pole with coir coming down from the "T"-eed top? I'm looking for ease of harvest over any reason, which makes me think option 2 might be tough.

Any insight on any of these question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

fmader:
Unfortuntely, I don't think that you'll be able to get your hands on any Amarillo. It is a proprietary hops. Others would be Simcoe and Citra. There are a handful that aren't available to the public. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, and then tell me where to purchase rhyzomes for these beauties  8). I did pre-order rooted hops rhyzomes from the Thyme Garden way back in October. They should be shipped within the next couple of weeks. They seem like they would be a solid option and had great customer service when I was seeking information. I ordered 6 or 8 centennial rhyzomes last year from Midwest Supplies and only had two grow. The two grew nicely and one yeilded an ounce or two of hops. Not much to brew with, but they garnished beers nicely lol. But here is the link to the Thyme Garden....

http://www.thymegarden.com/site/561124/search/site?keys=hops

j.petykowski:

--- Quote from: fmader on March 05, 2013, 07:25:05 PM ---Unfortuntely, I don't think that you'll be able to get your hands on any Amarillo. It is a proprietary hops. Others would be Simcoe and Citra. There are a handful that aren't available to the public. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, and then tell me where to purchase rhyzomes for these beauties  8). I did pre-order rooted hops rhyzomes from the Thyme Garden way back in October. They should be shipped within the next couple of weeks. They seem like they would be a solid option and had great customer service when I was seeking information. I ordered 6 or 8 centennial rhyzomes last year from Midwest Supplies and only had two grow. The two grew nicely and one yeilded an ounce or two of hops. Not much to brew with, but they garnished beers nicely lol. But here is the link to the Thyme Garden....

http://www.thymegarden.com/site/561124/search/site?keys=hops

--- End quote ---

This is news to me, I am pretty new to this whole ordeal. So, thanks for the info on the proprietary hops, I probably should have looked for those specific types of hops before I posted. Probably would have come across it at some point. I will check out this website, thanks a bunch for the link.

fmader:
Yeah, I learned the hard way too. I made a list and shopped for them with no luck. Then found out they there are several popular hops that are privately owned. I'm new to growing hops too. Last year was the first year. I started them with a tomato plant cone and then up a rope. I have been brainstorming a trellis too. But since most of my hops are new, I may go with just ropes again this year. We started by using well water to water them. Our well water is high in alkalinity, which we find out that you don't want that for hops plants. It also counteracts the fertilizer. So, we started catching rain water and using it to water with. We also fertilized with acidic Miracle Grow. The plants started to grow much better once we figured that out. We also mounded our dirt to plant them in. One thing that we are going to do differently this year is to work in some composted manure into our soil before planting. I have two centennial plants and a US Gold in the ground. I ordered Cascade, Mt. Hood, Magnum, Willamette, Zeus, Chinook, Nugget, and Perle from the Thyme Garden....all but one or two of them are rooted. Again, I don't know how good their product is, but it seems pretty legit.

kramerog:
According to "Hops," for commercial growers low-trellis systems reduce recurring costs like labor but are less productive unless you are growing a dwarf variety.  With a low trellis you can make multiple harvests and you don't cut down the hop plant until the first frost allowing nutrients to go back into the roots.  It is faster to cut down a straight string and to harvest all the hops. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version