General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Another noob question

<< < (3/3)

hellbound:

--- Quote from: donredbull on March 08, 2013, 11:37:27 PM ---Thanks again for the advice I am just scared of screwing my beer up.

--- End quote ---

RDWHAHB!!! Beer is VERY forgiving, and a lot harder to screw up than you might think, especially if you're doing extract brews.

And even IF you do happen to screw it up slightly, it will still be beer, and therefore great cause you made it!

jamminbrew:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 07, 2013, 07:30:40 PM ---Ive had good luck with extracts doing the following.

Brew
7 days primary
Rack to secondary, 7 more days in secondary
check gravity, if close to estimated FG, prime and bottle.

ive had 0 bottle bombs

2c

--- End quote ---
I don't use a secondary any more, except for aging or adding fruits or other adjuncts. Current beliefs are that secondary fermenters are unnecessary. I leave my beers in the primary for 2-3 weeks, and once the gravity stops dropping, I'm there. Bottle time!

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on March 07, 2013, 07:30:40 PM ---Ive had good luck with extracts doing the following.

Brew
7 days primary
Rack to secondary, 7 more days in secondary
check gravity, if close to estimated FG, prime and bottle.

--- End quote ---
I hate to say you're wrong - but if it is not at FG and you rack to secondary, you're removing most of the yeast from the beer.  It may have worked so far, but it is begging for trouble.  Leave it in primary until it is at FG, then rack to secondary if you wish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version