General Category > All Grain Brewing

Batch Sparging: Dilution

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: wheelhousebrewing on March 07, 2013, 01:58:57 PM ---I don't recall but the mash water was more than I had planned (Maybe up to 2-2.5qts/lb.  I used a two-step process and used 'boiling' water to get from the protein rest to the sach rest.  But here in Denver, my boil water temp is lower so i had to increase the volume).

--- End quote ---

When I correct mash temperature with boiling water, I reduce my sparge water by an equal volume. 

gymrat:
So you had a thin mash then over sparged? Between the two that is a really high water to grain ratio.

denny:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on March 07, 2013, 01:55:26 PM ---You should run the mash tun dry for each runoff. Otherwise you're intentionally leaving sugars behind.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  What you want to do is measure how much runoff you get from the mash.  Subtract that from the amount you want to boil.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use so that you have nothing left behind.

DrewG:

--- Quote ---Yep.  What you want to do is measure how much runoff you get from the mash.  Subtract that from the amount you want to boil.  The answer you get is how much sparge water to use so that you have nothing left behind.
--- End quote ---

^
That

wheelhousebrewing:

--- Quote from: gymrat on March 07, 2013, 02:05:09 PM ---So you had a thin mash then over sparged? Between the two that is a really high water to grain ratio.

--- End quote ---

Well when you put it that way...  But hey, it's gonna be the richest 3.4% beer in town.

Muchas gracias to everyone for the feedback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version