General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mash Tun: Temperature Uniformity

<< < (2/3) > >>

dean_palmer:
When using my cooler (round, orange) I preheat a bit with some hot tap water and then add the strike water, then the grain. Like Denny I stir until the temp stabilizes. After that I'll stir about every 15 minutes and add hot water if I lose temp from said stirring. Stirring seems to help the efficiency a bit as well.

When using my direct-fired stainless tun with RIMS, I also stir until the temp is stable and then let the RIMS system keep it there, but still give a full stir about every 15 minutes.

bwana:
I stir well in the begining then every 15-20 minutes. I use a round "yellow" cooler and take my temps at the top. I loose 1-2 degrees depending how long I mash.

fmader:
Blue coolers spawn their own 152 degree mash water

gandelf:
Thanks everyone

alcaponejunior:

--- Quote from: bwana on March 08, 2013, 08:19:09 AM ---I stir well in the begining then every 15-20 minutes. I use a round "yellow" cooler and take my temps at the top. I loose 1-2 degrees depending how long I mash.

--- End quote ---
My cooler is round and blue. :D

I stir three times during the 75 minute mash and don't worry about it otherwise.  If the temp is close enough, it's good enough.  It's always within 1-2F anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version