Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distilled Water and Salt Addition for Hoppy IPA  (Read 12482 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Distilled Water and Salt Addition for Hoppy IPA
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:52 pm »
I am going to be making a very hoppy IPA soon and was hoping to get some help.  I plan on using distilled water and adding my own salts.  Does anyone have a good salt-addition recipe for such a beer?

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Distilled Water and Salt Addition for Hoppy IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:27:35 am »
I've had success following bruunwaters recommendations.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:18 am »
When I brew I try to get my calcium up to 100ppm and a 3:1 ratio of sulfate to chloride. Those are the numbers I shoot for, but I ALWAYS try to keep the mash ph around the 5.2-5.3 range. This might call for a little phosphoric acid, depending on the malts used.

What does your grain bill look like? Already knowing your water profile (distilled) it is very easy to recommend salt additions depending on the grain bill you will be using.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:29:07 am »
+1 to following Brunwater or Kai's new calculator on Brewer's Friend.

Personally, I shoot for about 150ppm Sulfate and about 75ppm Chloride in my IPA's. The caveat here is that I'm not a big fan of crystal malt in my IPA, and I generally stick to some combo of 2-row, Munich and Victory for my grain bill. I think if I was inclined to use more Crystal malt, I would be tempted to shoot for a higher Sulfate level and lower Chloride to help dry things out a bit.

I tend to shoot for the higher range of mash pH for IPA's (5.4-5.5). I don't know if that's enough to make a difference in the finished beer, but lower pH's can supposedly diminish hop presence so that's just a bit of insurance for me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:20:27 am »
I'm making a Rye IPA... so 12-lbs 2-row; 3-lbs Rye; and .5lbs 40L Crystal.  I was thinking about using some spring water (Arrowhead) for a five-gallon mash and adding 12 grams of gypsum.  Then I was thinking about adding .1 grams of gypsum in five gallons of distilled water for the sparge.  I just don't know the total alkalinity of the Arrowhead water.  I used the Brun'water calculations for what I thought was right... minus the total alkalinity number.  I'm a newb with the water chemistry and would appreciate some expert opinions.  Thanks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:31 am »
I'm making a Rye IPA... so 12-lbs 2-row; 3-lbs Rye; and .5lbs 40L Crystal.  I was thinking about using some spring water (Arrowhead) for a five-gallon mash and adding 12 grams of gypsum.  Then I was thinking about adding .1 grams of gypsum in five gallons of distilled water for the sparge.  I just don't know the total alkalinity of the Arrowhead water.  I used the Brun'water calculations for what I thought was right... minus the total alkalinity number.  I'm a newb with the water chemistry and would appreciate some expert opinions.  Thanks.
If you do a search on Arrowhead water mineral content, you can find it has different mineral content depending on which spring, they use more than one. Looks to be 6 springs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowhead_Water
The mineral level range can be seen here. Variation is > a factor of 10 for some minerals.
http://www.myspringwater.com/SpringWaterInformation/MineralContent.aspx

You don't know what is in your base water, unless you can contact Arrowhead and get information.

Adding the 0.1 gram of gypsum to the sparge water is to do what?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 06:24:24 am »
Big differences in minerals found in spring water is a big reason why I prefer distilled water. As of now it is the only option i have for getting consistent results. Maybe one day my local super market will get one of those awesome RO machines. Hear it tastes better.

If an RO dispenser is an option in your area, might be worth considering...
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 07:02:45 am »
Actually I live in Seoul, South Korea and work on the military base here.  I can get Arrowhead Spring Water in 2.5 gallon jugs.  I can also get Sparkletts Purified Water (minerals added for taste) in the same type juggs.  And I can get distilled water in one gallon jugs.  I choose the Arrowhead generally... for no particular reason.  The mineral listing for that water is:
Ca = 24.1
Chloride = 13.2
Bicarbonate = 81.1
Flouride = 0.1
Mg = 3.6
Potassium = 1.5
Sodium = 11.1
Sulfates = 3.8
TDS = 129
Ph = 6.33 - 8.2

Again, I plan on using the Arrowhead water (and 12 grams of gypsum) in the 5-gallon mash.  I planned on adding .1 grams of gypsum to the 5-gallon distilled water sparge because that would get the ph down to 5.2... from what I can tell.  The key thing I want to do is get 300ppm in Sulfates... love the hops in my IPAs.  I think I did the Brun'water spreadsheet correctly, but was hoping someone had a "pat" answer that would save me from messing up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:20 am »
 Ca that gypsum adds reacts with phosphorus compounds in the mash, resulting in the production of  H+ ions. The H+ ions are what drops the pH, by definition. Maybe Kai or Martin can say if gypsum in the sparge will help. I could get up off my rear, get the pH meter out and try it, but that is some work that I can avoid.  :)

Thanks for your service. Never been to Korea, but some I used to work with were there often. Hear the food can be good, the local beer and strong drink, not so much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:31 am »
Ca that gypsum adds reacts with phosphorus compounds in the mash, resulting in the production of  H+ ions. The H+ ions are what drops the pH, by definition. Maybe Kai or Martin can say if gypsum in the sparge will help. I could get up off my rear, get the pH meter out and try it, but that is some work that I can avoid.  :)

Thanks for your service. Never been to Korea, but some I used to work with were there often. Hear the food can be good, the local beer and strong drink, not so much.

Korean food is awesome. Korean mass market beer is like every other mass market beer. And Soju really isn't that bad, but it can be down right scary if you don't know what you are doing.

And if you want to lower the pH of your sparge water, I would recommend adding a bit of acid to the sparge water. I sometimes add a bit of lactic to my sparge water just to be sure.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:08 am »
I could get up off my rear, get the pH meter out and try it, but that is some work that I can avoid.  :)

Jeff, it's my great pleasure to award you the Gold Star for Pragmatism!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:08 am »
I could get up off my rear, get the pH meter out and try it, but that is some work that I can avoid.  :)

Jeff, it's my great pleasure to award you the Gold Star for Pragmatism!

I a honored.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hellbound

• Cellarman
  • Beer Saved The World
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »
Why not just use Distilled water for both the strike water and sparge water? If you've got the ability to make salt and mineral additions, why not do it to the entire water profile?

I've been using Bru'unwater for awhile and once you play around with it a little, it gets much simpler to understand...and it's extremely trustworthy.
Dave
Maltose Falcon, San Fernando Valley Beer Lover
"Been drinking all the beer I can find since 1982"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Distilled Water and Salt Addition for Hoppy IPA
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:16 pm »

I've been using Bru'unwater for awhile and once you play around with it a little, it gets much simpler to understand...and it's extremely trustworthy.

Thumbs up to both statements!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell