General Category > All Grain Brewing

Trub removal

<< < (2/6) > >>

fmader:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on March 07, 2013, 05:08:04 PM ---
How do you prevent oxidation?

--- End quote ---

You know, I originally thought that oxidation could possibly be an issue, but it really doesn't pour much differently, if at all, than straight out of the siphon tube. I've filtered out of the kettle twice now on brews, and three times into the bottling bucket. I have had no ill-effects from filtering into the bottling bucket. Until I do, I am going to continue using this method.

ynotbrusum:
I would fear some oxidation post ferment filtering that way.  So I dry hop using stainless tea balls.  I will split an ounce of hops among 3 tea balls and often just leave them in the beer while dispensing, suspending them, if I want to limit the exposure time.

To limit trub, I use a false bottom in the kettle and a double mesh colander on the top of my fermenter.  Anything that gets through is minimal and likely beneficial to some degree.  Some people then go further and skim the braun hefe during high krausen, to further limit the trub and for the cleanest beer possible.

Wort-H.O.G.:
IMO, oxidation isn't much of a concern once the wort is chilled. its supposed to be exposed to oxygen and you need oxygen priior to adding yeast, so i dont worry much about that. i don't think there is any very effective way to reduce trub...tried it all and bottom line is you're going to get trub in the primary. the best method i've found is put it in a carboy, let it chill and settle, and then rack it to another carboy and then add oxygen and yeast. i honestly haven't tasted any difference though in pouring everything from the kettle vs minimizing trub.

reverseapachemaster:
Unless temperature control is not an option, why not just rely on finings and cold crashes? I get some really clear beer that way, even bottling, although I normally just do a cold crash and keep it cold for a few days.

davidgzach:
I think the oxidation question was for dry hopping in fermented wort.  I would worry about that as well.

I used to always just dump the wort with no ill effects until I started reusing yeast.  I like to make an extra gallon now.  It's an extra $1, maybe, and it keeps a lot of stuff out of my fermenter.

When I have time, I like to let the wort sit for at least an hour before transferring from kettle to primary.  The wort is crystal clear.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version