Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Texas law?  (Read 7649 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: New Texas law?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:35:02 am »
I don't really have a problem with banning sale of distribution rights, but it makes no sense at all to ban breweries from selling those rights, but allowing distributors to turn around and sell them after breweries give them away.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:29 am »
I deplore that they have tied all the bills together but I think on balance we are better off seeing the whole package passed than the whole thing fail. Brewpubs will get a chance to distribute, which hopefully will encourage growth of more brewpubs in the state, and production brewers will be able to sell a limited amount of beer on site. For the brewers as a whole I think that's a bigger win than the loss on the distribution rights issue.

The craft brewers are already planning a judicial attack on 639 after it goes into effect. I'm not sure they will win the day on that one considering the storied history of monied influence on the state judiciary but they can always try to fix it through the legislature.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:18:12 pm »
I like Jester King's response to all of it.  Switch over to a brewpub license.  Cap production at 10,000 bbls per year, self distribute 1,000 bbls per year, and have a distributor sell the rest.  I think they were at 1,400 bbls last year.  Now they can charge for beer in the tasting room and sell bottles to go.  Their model, with lots of barrel aging, really lends itself to this. 
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:12 am »
I like Jester King's response to all of it.  Switch over to a brewpub license.  Cap production at 10,000 bbls per year, self distribute 1,000 bbls per year, and have a distributor sell the rest.  I think they were at 1,400 bbls last year.  Now they can charge for beer in the tasting room and sell bottles to go.  Their model, with lots of barrel aging, really lends itself to this.

Hops and Grain did the same thing. It makes a lot of sense.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing