Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Austin  (Read 4399 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Austin
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »
We were just down in TX last week, the main reason was to visit family in South Texas. Had some Shiner Black, the FM 966 farmhouse, and lots of Indio at the BiLs.

Stayed a couple nights in Austin with the niece and her husband. We went to Bangers one night in Downtown Austin. Place does a lot of their own wurst, good and unique toppings, sides were better than expected. German potato salad was excellent. The place has 100 beers on tap. Some were showing their age, but the popular local brews were fresh. I would go back without hesitation.

Also went to the Gingerman. Live Oak Pilz is good stuff.

Also managed to hit City Market in Luling for some Q on the way to the Rio Grande Valley, and on the way back hit Kruetz in Lockhart for another helping of Q. The brisket at Kruetz won our vote for this trip.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Austin
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:32:54 am »
Ya gotta go to Whip In and to Black Star Co-op. I had a good time at Red's Porch and they also have a Flying Saucer, but I had a better time at Gingerman when we were there last spring.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:06:30 am »
Ya gotta go to Whip In and to Black Star Co-op. I had a good time at Red's Porch and they also have a Flying Saucer, but I had a better time at Gingerman when we were there last spring.

Have been to Whip-n, but did Black Star last year. The niece and her Welsh husband like the pub atmosphere at the Draught House, and so did we last year.

If you like BBQ brisket, Franklin's is on another level from all of the others. Perfect. Except for the long wait in line.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:51:22 am »
I'm up in New Braunfels at least a couple times a week. Maybe I should take a left instead of a right and head up to Austin and delay going home. :D Get a room at the Driskill and drink some beer...! And I gotta try some of Franklin's brisket!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:11 am »
I'm up in New Braunfels at least a couple times a week. Maybe I should take a left instead of a right and head up to Austin and delay going home. :D Get a room at the Driskill and drink some beer...! And I gotta try some of Franklin's brisket!
We did not go to Franklin's this time, as our full day was a Saturday, and the niece said the line is around a 2 hour wait on a Saturday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:37:31 am »
Whip In started brewing their own since we visited last year. I have not heard anything about their beer positive or negative.

I kinda dig the no tip thing at Black Star. The beers were pretty tasty as well.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »
I was just down a couple weekends ago. Went Friday through Monday and hit a lot of breweries/brewpubs and a few bars. My wife and I create a schedule that allows us to hit as many places as possible and we are very militant about staying on schedule whether anybody with us wants to stay on schedule or not.

I'm a big fan of whip in and this was my first time trying out their house beers. They focus on Belgian styles, just like their taps, but I think they had an IPA as well. The beers are unique and spice driven. I had the saison and it was a very different saison for sure. Lots of spices involved, sort of sweet and thick from what I remember of it. It tasted excellent but nothing you would mistake for any other saison.

I think Pinthouse Pizza probably won favorite place in Austin although we drove down to SA for Freetail and I really liked everything I tried there. If Pinthouse didn't win out the Friday happy hour at Hops & Grain did. I had no idea they were putting out so much good stuff beyond their two core beers. I finally nabbed tickets for the Live Oak tour. The tour was pretty interesting because their system is old and simple and not too far removed from the same system a lot of homebrewers use. They give you a ton of beer and it's all delicious. They had a very limited doppelbock on try that was easily the best I have ever had. I think I had dreams about that beer that night.

Really disappointed with the way Jester King is doing their tours now. You used to be able to stand in line, get a beer and sit down and enjoy it. Now you're just standing in line the entire time. Probably won't go back there.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:32:03 pm »
Will have to see if the Niece knows about Pinthouse Pizza. Not too far from their house. Will be back soon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:49:57 pm »
draughthouse and pinthouse are my faves.  nxnw is great.  check out hopfields and there is a place on west sixth called brew exchange that prices beers based on demand.  not my type of bar but you can get good prices on obscure beers that are usually more expensive elsewhere.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:38 pm »
Again I'm missing SXSW and am in Arkansas! Really wanted to hit Austin at least once this week and enjoy some brew. Won't happen I'm afraid.

We don't have the choices in SA but Freetail is quite good. The size of their brew room is about the size of a large closet!

Anyway I'd like a guided tour or the like of the breweries in Austin. Then a taxi back to a hotel...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:53 pm »
holler if you want to meet up or need suggestions euge.  if you like flanders red or kreik nxnw has two amazing examples but they are now hard to get, usually gone in a day.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:03 pm »
Again I'm missing SXSW and am in Arkansas! Really wanted to hit Austin at least once this week and enjoy some brew. Won't happen I'm afraid.

We don't have the choices in SA but Freetail is quite good. The size of their brew room is about the size of a large closet!

Anyway I'd like a guided tour or the like of the breweries in Austin. Then a taxi back to a hotel...

I wouldn't discount SA. You guys have a lot of brewers in the area that make some great beer. I haven't had a bad beer from Ranger Creek but I hear a lot of bad stuff with infected bottles. Guadalupe (although in New Braunsfels) has yet to disappoint. I just discovered Branchline out of SA when I was in Austin. They make an egg nog stout that tasted exactly like egg nog in stout. It was delicious. You could do a lot worse than those three and Freetail plus I have to imagine SA gets better distribution of Austin beers than what we get in Dallas.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:17 am »

Is Oma's Haus still running? Went there a few times, always ate really well.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 06:54:14 am »
For our next trip to TX, the wife is looking at a place to stay in Gruene for a day or two on the way back from the Valley. Nice to know that there is a decent brewery not too far in New Braunfels.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 07:06:49 am »
The folks in NB hired me on full-time so I'm there almost every day. Oma's Haus is still open and I don't work too far from there or Gruene. A couple weeks ago had one of the best rye IPA's ever that was made in NB.