Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast seems to have stopped  (Read 920 times)

Offline Ed Meyer

• 1st Kit
Yeast seems to have stopped
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:36 pm »
I am very new to the fine hoppy of brewing and seems to have run into a problem.  I used a kit with both a can of malt and some grain.  Worked fine in first fermenting and when it was transferred to second fermenter it did not start fermenting anymore.    It was only 031 when I started and when I transferred to secondary fermenter it was 011.

Thanks for any help..
Ed Meyer

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Yeast seems to have stopped
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:21:29 pm »
It was probably close to done but without knowing the details of the recipe it's hard to say.  In future batches don't bother transferring to secondary.  That's an older practice that many of of us don't do as you are moving the beer off of the yeast.  They yeast will keep working in the primary fermentor and will help clean up any off flavors.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:12 am »
Yes, no need to worrd about transferring to a secondary for most batches. but if you do want to transfer make sure you don't rack the beer until it is done fermenting. Racking can cause slowing or stalling of the fermentation. To be sure your fermentation is finished take 2 or 3 gravity reading 2 or 3 days apart. When the gravity has stopped falling it is stabilized and should be safe to rack or bottle. You can let the beer sit on the yeast after fermenattion is finished for 4-6 weeks with no ill effects, probably even longer.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:10 am »
Sounds like an extract batch with steeping grains. You probably had a bad mix of top off water and wort which is pretty typical, hence the low starting gravity, not to worry, the OG should be what the recipe states assuming your volumes are correct.

Finishing at 1.011 is a good place to be, as mentioned it was most likely done, good job! Now get started on another batch, the first one won't last long:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010