Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dual-duty HLT and prechiller?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Dual-duty HLT and prechiller?
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:09 am »
As I mentally plan the brewstand I plan to build someday, I'm wondering if other homebrewers have designed stands where a kettle or other piece of equipment has served more than one role. The one that comes to mind most often is HLT/pre-chiller, since the only liquid in this kettle is water.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Dual-duty HLT and prechiller?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »
As I mentally plan the brewstand I plan to build someday, I'm wondering if other homebrewers have designed stands where a kettle or other piece of equipment has served more than one role. The one that comes to mind most often is HLT/pre-chiller, since the only liquid in this kettle is water.

Yes, I use the HLT for chilling after the boil.  After running hose water through the chiller to get the temp down to 90F or so, I put ice water in the HLT and pump it through the chiller and back to the HLT.  When done, I use this water for clean up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:02:39 am »
I do the same thing as jeffy.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:19 am »
I have occasionally used my HLT not as a pre-chiller, but as a source of ice-water for my CFC. I filled with ice, then water, then ran the water through the chiller filling the HLT with ice and more water as needed. I only do this in the summer when my groundwater is like 80F.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:12:47 am »
sorry - yeah - now that I re-read things, its more like mtnrock - I use a 2stage CFC system - first one is fed with hose water, second is fed with a recirculating loop of ice water from the HLT.  i can easily hit low 40s with this setup if I want.

cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:48 am »
This is great info, thanks.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member