Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gut wrenching  (Read 1399 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Gut wrenching
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:53 am »
I'd like to throw that bastard who is responsible for that off the same overpass in front of an 18 wheeler.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
The rescue taking care of her is the one where I got my dog Ralph from. The following is the story they had on their facebook page yesterday.

Missouri German Shepherd Rescue

LINDEY THE GSD THROWN OFF OVERPASS ON I-670 sometime Thursday. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Landed in the snow. Good thing or she'd be dead.

Woman who scraped her up called me Friday and Nancy (MOGS PRES) spent most of Friday on this.

Fortunately there was a horse show at the arena ... several people were outside and saw it.

They said "she came FLYING off that overpass" -- in other words she didn't climb up and over, she didn't jump over the railing. 99% likelihood she was THROWN off the overpass. Someone suggested maybe she came flying off a pickup bed, but doesn't seem likely. It's a straight road, no curves, no ice at that time, broad daylight. Someone would have had to slam on their brakes but there was no squealing. Besides, she would have flown out the back of the pickup not the side. Plus she's skinny (tho not emaciated) and shows signs of having been abused by a man.

At any rate, the people who saw it happen ran into the horse show to tell people. It just so happened one of the attendees loves gsd's (used to breed them). She's from Colorado but was with a local gal friend - they rushed her to the local gal's vet, who thank God is a great vet that Nancy happens to know.

She was in shock. Some blood in her stomach and some compression in her lung. But by Friday mid-day she seemed to be doing well and those things seemed to be settling down. She needs to rest for a week or so to make sure there are no further repercussions in those areas.

Biggest issue: vet says she did a "three-point landing" - held out her two front legs and landed on the backside of both front paws and her jaw.

Result:
1. 3-4 fractured teeth that need to come out
2. amazingly not a single broken bone (god bless the snow)
3. THE BIG ONE: totally messed up tendons in left front paw.
4. also some similar damage in right front paw, but much less severe

Vet says she needs a "pan carpal arthrodesis" - fusing the carpal or ankle into a fixed position. Approx $3,300. Follow up care is 4 months or so, with frequent trips to vet for checkups and xrays and splint changes. With followup care we're probably looking at $4,000. Plus she needs 4 teeth out and basic vetting (spay, shots, etc). Another $500 or so? She may also need the arthrodesis on the other leg but that's unknown at this time. If so, it's another $3,300.

This vet doesn't do orthopedics so Nancy called Dr. Rob (our wonder vet of Tucker and Sasha fame) in Topeka. He's going to talk to the other vet, but MOGS will have to get Lindey up to Dr. Rob for examination since x-rays don't show anything about tendons.

Dr. Rob says he's seen it happen that tendons can heal without surgery sometimes. We won't know anything more until Dr. Rob sees her mid-this coming week.

The Colorado horsewoman is the one who called Nancy Fri morning. She's willing to pay the vet's bill AND donate $3,000. Fabulous start. She's also collecting some money from the others at the horse show. So we're off to an excellent start. But we will need more help with her.

If you can donate MOGS does have a paypal link:
http://mogsrescue.rescuegroups.org/info/donate

All help is appreciated in help with this sweet sweet girl!

Am told Lindey is very sweet, though a little standoffish for the time being. Shows signs of being abused - warms up quickly to women, more leary of men. Takes longer is all.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:44 pm »
Wow!  Sheis doing amazingly well for a fall from that height.  I went to tech school in KCMO and am at least a bit familiar with the area and as far as I know there is no way she could jump herself.  Hopefully they find the jerk who did it too her somehow and make him pay in some way that drives the point home.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »
Missouri German Shepherd RescueHello all! Another quick update on our girl Lindey. She came out of surgery at Blue Pearl in Overland Park. She is doing very well. They worked on her jaw, mouth and teeth as well as one paw. The vet is hopeful that the other paw will not need surgery, however both paws/legs are in splints and will be splinted for up to 4 months. We at MOGS are sooooo thankful for everything! The staff at Blue Pearl have fallen in love with her and have said she has been a lady throughout this whole thing. Along with the malnutrition and the parasites the first vet found, other signs of classic neglect are showing up in this sweet girl. We will post more updates on Miss Lindey as we get them!!
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS