General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

racking to limit attenuation

<< < (2/5) > >>

denny:

--- Quote from: gmac on March 09, 2013, 05:37:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on March 09, 2013, 01:40:23 PM ---You need to kill off the yeast somehow.

--- End quote ---

Plutonium?

--- End quote ---

Glow in the dark beer!

philljennbrewing:
You can use Potassium Sorbate (used when sweetening wines and meads). Kills off all yeast to prevent renewed fermentation. Available in your local brew shop, wine additive section.

Thirsty_Monk:

--- Quote from: denny on March 09, 2013, 01:40:23 PM ---Just racking will not necessarily stop fermentation.  Neither will refrigeration.  You need to kill off the yeast somehow.

--- End quote ---
The easeast way to do this is to filter the yeast out.

mmitchem:

--- Quote from: denny on March 10, 2013, 09:47:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: gmac on March 09, 2013, 05:37:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on March 09, 2013, 01:40:23 PM ---You need to kill off the yeast somehow.

--- End quote ---

Plutonium?

--- End quote ---

Glow in the dark beer!

--- End quote ---

Could this beer fuel the flux capacitor and help to achieve 1.21 gigawatts???

kylekohlmorgen:
I tend to do everything I can to make sure the yeast complete the full cycle of fermentation. If you halt yeast activity early, whether on purpose or by accident, you risk fermentation off-flavors such as butter (diacetyl) or astringent green apple (acetylaldehyde). This is especially true in a lager fermentation.

I'd rather have a beer that is clean but too dry than one that has the proper finishing gravity but is flawed by one of the above flavors.

If you are kegging: After fermentation is complete and the yeast have cleaned up their by-products, you can add potassium sorbate to kill the yeast and then back-sweeten with more honey. Adding honey after fermentation is a great way to get honey flavor and aroma (kind of like dry-hopping with honey, while adding gravity/sugars).

If you're bottling: at bottling, add maltodextrin along with your priming sugar and bottling yeast. Figure out the amount of MD powder needed to add the desired gravity points to your bottling volume. Dissolve the powder with your priming sugar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version