Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rhizomes planted on 3/9/13  (Read 12459 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Rhizomes planted on 3/9/13
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:16:13 pm »
It is pushing 60 degrees today in Ohio, and my hops rhizomes came in the mail today....So they got planted! I grew a couple Centennial plants and a US Gold last year with much success. So, I put a pre-order in to the Thyme Garden back in October. The quality of these rhizomes are amazing. I would recommend them to anyone. They are based out of Oregon, and when the rhizomes arrived here, they were sealed in ziplock bags and still very moist. The rhizomes I ordered from another company last year were dry sticks....these are far from that.

I ordered rooted cuttings of Magnum, Nugget, Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette. The smaller three are standard cuttings, which are very very solid. They are Zeus, Mt. Hood and Perle.

This is the Nugget cutting I got!

I now have 11 total plants of 10 hops varieties planted along the side of the barn. Hopefully the "after" picture is a little more appetizing than this "before" picture.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:36:17 pm by fmader »
Frank

coastsidemike

Re: Rhizomes planted on 3/9/13
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:17 pm »
I appreciate the photos.  Those look great; it kinda sets the tone (price/quality) for what can be ordered. 

Do you have a plan for harvesting/processing/storing from so many plants?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »
I forgot to mention price. The rooted cuttings were 7-8 bucks, and the standard cuttings are 4-5 bucks. They do have large cuttings that run the same as the rooted ones. I think the rooted and large cuttings are sold out. I pre-ordered in October. But after getting these, the standard cuts are very nice. Again, I pre-ordered rather early and it is first come first serve.

Once they start poking through, I will put tomato cages around them to start them, and then run a twine of sort up the side of the barn and attach to the fascia. That worked well last year for my Centennial and Goldings...They are planted where the red mulch is half way up the picture. So as harvesting goes, I will just cut down the entire twine. I did get a small harvest last year off of one of the Centennials, and we put them in a brown paper bag and put them in the loft of this barn for about a week. I shook them once or twice a day, and with it being about 100-120 degrees in the loft, they dried out nicely. I had about two ounces of dried hops, so we just used them to garnish IPA's. But in the future, I will shrink wrap the hops in manageable sizes and store them in my chest freezer.

I actually moved one of my Centennial plants about two feet, so it was closer to my other Centennial and not the US Gold. In doing so, I got about six of my own rhizomes. I just went ahead and replanted them in a different area of the property. They won't get taken care of like these ones will, but we'll see what happens to them  8)
Frank

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Rhizomes planted on 3/9/13
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:18:56 am »
You have a nice collection.

I ordered some Centennial rhizomes and planted them in a pot to get them started yesterday. I'll eventually transplant them when they mature a bit. It's still a little on the cold side here to plant them outside right now.
Ron Price

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 09:03:12 am »
I potted my centennials last year and actually lost one after the transplant. I was worried about it being still a bit too cold here too, but the reps from the Thyme Garden said if there's no snow on the ground and I can get I shovel in the ground, then plant them. So I went with that. I figure that the rhizomes are looking very hardy, and if anything comes up too soon and dies off, there will be more shooters on the way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:18:08 am by fmader »
Frank

coastsidemike

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:52 pm »
I forgot to mention price. The rooted cuttings were 7-8 bucks, and the standard cuttings are 4-5 bucks. They do have large cuttings that run the same as the rooted ones. I think the rooted and large cuttings are sold out. I pre-ordered in October. But after getting these, the standard cuts are very nice. Again, I pre-ordered rather early and it is first come first serve.

Seems like a quality purchase either way.  I paid $7 per rhizome + shipping and got two cuttings per order, in more or less the shape and size of a pencil, with one shoot just starting.

I did get a nice stack of 2x12 redwood, so I just dug out my planting areas, boxed them in, and filled it with 6 months of spent-grain and sawdust compost.  Planting soon!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:26 am »
I did get a nice stack of 2x12 redwood, so I just dug out my planting areas, boxed them in, and filled it with 6 months of spent-grain and sawdust compost.  Planting soon!

How does Spent-grain effect compost?  MY Brewbuddy and i where worried that to much in his bin would totally kill it.  We where also worried about to much hope trub for the same reason.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:05 am »

How does Spent-grain effect compost?  MY Brewbuddy and i where worried that to much in his bin would totally kill it.  We where also worried about to much hope trub for the same reason.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Jeff

I vaguely remember reading that you treat as brown material.  Other than that it should work fine in compost.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

coastsidemike

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

Jeff

I vaguely remember reading that you treat as brown material.  Other than that it should work fine in compost.

Paul

The worms et alia all appear happy with it.   When I dump in all my spent grain and hops, I mix in a combination of sawdust & vegetation, mix, and then cover with a layer of vegetation to keep flies out.  It's a 6-sided scrap-wood tumbler.  Regarding sawdust, I happen to generate a lot of it and this combo makes for easy disposal.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
Spent brewing ingredients have performed excellent for me in my compost.  Just make sure the grains are mixed a bit as if you leave them in a large pile they'll produce some pretty funky aromas.  Once composted they seem to give the compost a really workable texture.  Good luck!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:40:59 am »

Paul

I've read on these boards that spent grains are high in protein, the theory being that you just removed all the starches.  I have no opinion about browns vs greens, but I've noticed that spent grains decompose quickly if kept moist. 

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:57:35 am »
Spent grains are considered green material because they are a source of nitrogen.  If you add them to the pile, you have to add a lot of brown material to keep the compost from going anaerobic. This can happen pretty easily since spent grain is very wet and will compact down when dumped out.

To the OP, those rhizomes are nice.  Much better than the ones I got years ago. 
Mark

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:13 am »
I'm a terrible gardener so I've killed too many rhizomes to admit. I've ordered several times from Thyme Garden and been mostly pleased with what I have received. The larger rooted cuttings are worth the money IMO. I have a sterling and mt. hood I bought as cuttings from Thyme Garden last year and they are already sprouting up nicely. I had a nugget rhizome I bought last year but could never get to take off. It doesn't look like it rooted well and didn't survive the winter. I bought a couple more nugget rhizomes to try again this year along with a couple cascade rooted plants from Arrowhead hops up in Michigan so I'm hoping for better growth this year.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »

2013 Hop yard is complete.....Next step = Harvest!
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »
Update!

First year hops from left to right: Magnum, Nugget, Zeus, Chinook, and Cascade.... the far right is a second year Centennial.

Same hops as above with the addition of a second year US Golding, Willamette, Perle, and Mt. Hood. The peak of the barn is about 18'

All of the first year plants have hops on them, the Zeus is ready to explode!
Frank